Aftermarket brake hose question.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Aftermarket brake hose question.

Post by sirch345 »

I have stainless steel braided aftermarket brake hoses which were fitted 2017 when I did the Renthal handlebar conversion. They have been fine, but having removed the caliper from the fork leg with the hose still attached with pads removed I started to clean the pistons after pumping them all out a little. When I turned the caliper over to do the underside I felt the hose move, at first I thought the swivel nut on the banjo had come undone. But it hadn't the hose had turned 8O not a lot about 3mm, but it was very unexpected, as in all the years of cleaning/servicing brake calipers this is the first time I have come across this.

In the photo's below. I have marked the hose and swivel nut with Tipp-Ex. In the first photo the marks are aligned, in the 2nd photo the marks are approximately 3mm apart, this is the amount the hose turns. It won't go any further and will go back to the original position on turning the caliper up the right way. Both front calipers are the same. No brake fluid has been lost.

What do you think guy's :?:
VTR-brake-hose-1M.jpg
VTR-Brake-hose-2M.jpg
Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Chris.
MacV2

Re: Aftermarket brake hose question.

Post by MacV2 »

Could just be the sleeve moving ?
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

MacV2 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:41 pm Could just be the sleeve moving ?
That's what I was thinking. After all the sleeve is there for looks and some protection of the stainless line and considering the heat/ cold cycles they go through the sleeve could slip a bit at the end over time.
Maybe take a bright flash light to see if you can see the braid below the sleeve and twist it to see if the braid moves from its original position or just the sleeve moving over the braid.

Good luck.
1998 Honda SuperHawk aka FireStorm
https://www.dwn4lif.com
My website 👆
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Most aftermarket lines are fixed, but there are one or two with a swivel built in as standard. I can't recall which brands.
If no fluid leak and the lever isn't going spongy, it's one of those.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You could be onto something there Mac and Misnblu.
I did wonder if it was the s/steel braided outer cover that was restricting the movement to approximately 3mm only, but it hadn't occourred to me that it could be the only thing that is happening. I was thinking it must be the inner hose (the part that contains the brake fluid) that was moving inside the swivel joint.
For peace of mind I am hoping someone else has come across this besides me :(

Thanks for your replies both of you :thumbup:

Cheers,

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:51 pm Most aftermarket lines are fixed, but there are one or two with a swivel built in as standard. I can't recall which brands.
If no fluid leak and the lever isn't going spongy, it's one of those.
Yes that is correct Tony. These are made by Venhill and have the built in swivel joint at the banjo's. The swivel joint is only there as I understand it to aid fitting by allowing perfect alignment of the hose before tightening the swivel nut.

No spongy lever or fluid leaking.

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers,

Chris.