Needed, top aluminium welder in london!!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Mr.wolf

Needed, top aluminium welder in london!!

Post by Mr.wolf »

So,

Just rolled my bike off a curb today with a pillion. The shock bracket snapped off the bike completely.

I paid quite a lot for the aluminium welding in the first place, rear end was a vfr which has been welded onto the firestorm shock system.

Spoke to a friend who's welded for years but doesn't have the kit at home, reckons its safe to reweld and had just been badly joined initially.

Has anyone got any contacts in or around London who are a bit handy with a welder?

Much obliged.
Attachments
20210112_163839.jpg
20210112_162000.jpg
20210112_161952.jpg
MK_WF

Re: Needed, top aluminium welder in london!!

Post by MK_WF »

Not exactly your location, but believe me he knows how to weld aluminum :
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005839782037

Looking at what's left from the weld, that was far too few amps and/or the swinger wasn't warmed up properly ahead of the welding process.
(I've been welding a handful times on ali frames, swingers and subframes which all still work. So I guess that qualifies at least as one-eyed amongst the blind)
Bye
Martin
Mr.wolf

Post by Mr.wolf »

Thanks mate, yeah it doesn't look very reinforced.

I don't have Facebook if you have his contact details could you dm me.

Much obliged
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Mr.wolf wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:45 pm So,

Just rolled my bike off a curb today with a pillion. The shock bracket snapped off the bike completely.

I paid quite a lot for the aluminium welding in the first place, rear end was a vfr which has been welded onto the firestorm shock system.

Spoke to a friend who's welded for years but doesn't have the kit at home, reckons its safe to reweld and had just been badly joined initially.

Has anyone got any contacts in or around London who are a bit handy with a welder?

Much obliged.
8O You were very lucky that happened where it did. I should do a lottery ticket this week with that amount of luck :)

Annoying as I'm sure it is, it just goes to show what can happen with work not done properly,

Chris.
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Speak to Ian at Angell welding they have welded alloy parts for me in the past and he used to weld Rob McElnea”a race bikes. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
Mr.wolf

Post by Mr.wolf »

sirch345 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:00 pm
Mr.wolf wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:45 pm So,

Much obliged.
8O You were very lucky that happened where it did. I should do a lottery ticket this week with that amount of luck :)

Annoying as I'm sure it is, it just goes to show what can happen with work not done properly,

Chris.
Haha, agreed! Will not be going to said person again for any mods
Mr.wolf

Post by Mr.wolf »

Duffy1964 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:39 pm Speak to Ian at Angell welding they have welded alloy parts for me in the past and he used to weld Rob McElnea”a race bikes. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Much obliged, I'll get in contact
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

One thing has been puzzling me as to why that mount had to be welded on in the first place :?:

As I understand it the VFR SSSarm MOD for the Firestorm/Superhawk you normally use the original (OEM) VFR mount with modified side plates for the triangle piece that bolts to it :eh:

Chris.
MK_WF

Post by MK_WF »

Yep.
Generally spoken, I'd prefer welding on additional brackets that are under pressure instead of tension.
This is done for example when using an RGV250 swinger in a RD350 LC or also in the RD500.
Nigel from NK racing is offering such services: http://www.nkracing.co.uk/n12.html

I did it for a Zero FX swinger used in a CRF450 chassis used for MX racing - not the prettiest conversion, but this is still working.

Pressure means the weld just holds it in place and is not stressed by forces.
Under tension means all forces on the linkage try to rip out the bracket from the weld, which successfully happened here.

Long story short: If there was a stock bracket, I'd have tried to use it in any case.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1514967819929.jpg
Bye
Martin