Flywheel fitting instructions for review

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
gilson

Flywheel fitting instructions for review

Post by gilson »

Hi all,

Based on emails from Fabio and reading posts, I put together some instructions on removing and fitting a lightened flywheel.

Perhaps this is something that should be made sticky but only after the combined knowledge of this forum has been applied.

Please post any corrections or comments and eventually we'll have perfect instructions.
No bike (yet).
gilson

Re: Flywheel fitting instructions for review

Post by gilson »

Flywheel removal and fitting Instructions

Undo the bolts around the flywheel casing. There are dowels at 1 and 7 o’clock. Prise the casing off at these points first. Replace the gasket when refitting.

It is recommended to use a socket and extension bar to remove the retaining nut.

Force alone won't remove it because the engine will spin even if in gear.

Put the bike in first gear and engage the rear brake. Then give the extension bar a good hard, sharp shock to remove.

Be careful not to hit the flywheel as they are more fragile than they look.

An electric impact driver can also work to loosen the main bolt. You don’t need an air one, although these are more powerful, a Dewalt screwdriver impact driver can do the job of loosening it off.

If you don't have an impact driver, it can help if you have another set of hands to put a screwdriver in behind the flywheel at 3 and 9 o'clock positions just to put a little pressure on the flywheel to help break the seal on the taper.

Tighten the screw puller and again with a sharp shock with a hammer, pull out the flywheel.
Putting the lightened flywheel back in is easy. I recommend fitting the large ring gear to the flywheel and push them on as a pair. Just line up the woodruff key and wiggle it on.

Note: get down level with the flywheel when you are pushing it on and look at the 8 o’clock position.

As the flywheel has been machined you will be able to see past it and see the large ring gear.

Make sure the ring gear is engaged with the starter idle gear.

If it is not seated correctly, give the flywheel a little wiggle to ensure it is seated correctly. You will hear it seat home with a thump.

Once seated correctly, Loctite the 17mm retaining bolt and tighten by hand. Finally tighten with two or three good cracks on the extension bar to complete the process. You could also use the impact driver to tighten.

Note: make sure the crank taper and flywheel taper are oil free when fitting. You want a nice dry fit and make sure to Loctite the 17mm retaining bolt.

Bolt on engine casing with new gasket.

No bike (yet).
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

If the engine is in the bike there is another way.

Before starting make sure you have the correct bolt to remove the flywheel from the taper. I believe a MAN wheel bolt is the easiest to find for you guys.

The only other thing you need is a short section of wood.....I use a 2X4 personally though I don't know if lumber is metric there also.

I use an impact for removal but if you don't have one, then place the 2X4 through the rear wheel so it locks against the swingarm.
Then you can remove the retaining bolt.

For re-assembly simply move the 2X4 to the other side of the swingarm and now you can torque the retaining bolt to spec, which if I remember correctly is 130ft\lbs....though check the manual :thumbup:

As for the loctite, I have never used it on the flywheel bolt and have not had any issues.

The only other bit that is a little tricky is removing and installing the cover as the magnets in the flywheel tend to hold the cover on during removal and will try to pull the cover out of your hand during installation. :beer:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

That method has worked for many many times and so far no mishaps :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: