Negative earth lead to starter motor

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Pon

Negative earth lead to starter motor

Post by Pon »

My 97 VTR has 2 earth leads one to the engine under the battery and one to one of the bolts that holds the starter motor. The latter looks original?
I've just bought the yellow one that was on gummers and it just aint getting enough to turn the engine. I put a jump lead from the neg on the battery to the body of the starter motor and it turns a couple of times. I've looked in the manual & can't see any reference to there been 2 earth leads. I'd ideally prefer to buy the proper lead but can't seem to find one? Any ideas? I've got the battery (10ah) on charge and I'm going to clean up the terminals and fit a temp wire, for now, to see if I can get her cranking.
If at first you don't succeed - tools down and go for a ride.
mjvw

Re: Negative earth lead to starter motor

Post by mjvw »

Had similar issue could get starter motor to turn over but not fire, turned out to be a battery issue, the battery tested well but did not have extra too get a strong spark

Only cable to starter motor listed is.
https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda- ... 00/2/11475

So no earth ?

New battery sorted everything out.
Storming About :thumbup:
Pon

Post by Pon »

mjvw wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:42 am Had similar issue could get starter motor to turn over but not fire, turned out to be a battery issue, the battery tested well but did not have extra too get a strong spark

Only cable to starter motor listed is.
https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda- ... 00/2/11475

So no earth ?

New battery sorted everything out.
You could be right there. The battery has taken a charge so I will try that later on, if it doesn't crank it I'll pop the battery off me other VTR on for a test.
My Buell had the same problem just clicking on the solenoid, I put an earth wire to the body of the starter motor and that solved it there.
Pon

Post by Pon »

Well I put the charged battery on & it's the same so I put the one off my other VTR on which is 15ah and still won't crank so I put power straight to the starter motor and still wont turn it! Starter motor is meant to be fairly new 500 miles on it but it has no marking as to make just a marker pen direction arrow! I think this may be the culprit now? Gonna put the one on from me other one later or tomoz. Anyone else had a starter motor s hit out after a few miles?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

There are only two bolts that hold the starter motor, both 10mm head at one end. The main power ( not earth) lead runs from a relay lh side in the tail to the motor. The only earth is the one under the battery.
The motor terminal where the long lead connects at the motor end is usually where the problem is, the bolt corrodes and also the cable itself starts to rot inside the insulation sheath as it reaches the terminal.

If not that, the motor terminal bolt must be insulated from the motor body. There are fibre washers inside and outside the casing, plus a plastic sleeve that keeps the terminal bolt firm touching the casing.
A short here robs you of most of the current.

But if the battery is toast anyway, none of the above matters much.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pon

Post by Pon »

I just switched starter motors and it made no odds the - what I thought was duff starter starts my 97 VTR easy!
I put my 97 starter in this and it locks just after 1 revolution. Same as before, it will turn easy though with the rear spark plug out! Both plugs in and it aint having it, I can turn it past the tight spot and it does turn over once and locks again.

Now I'm thinking the timing is out! it has original CCT, it sounds a bit gnarly when you turn it over by hand (plugs out ) and there is a tight spot when there shouldn't be. Anyone think the piston may be touching a valve? Anyone available to sort out my timing? I'm willing to pay. :)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Pon wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:02 pm I just switched starter motors and it made no odds the - what I thought was duff starter starts my 97 VTR easy!
I put my 97 starter in this and it locks just after 1 revolution. Same as before, it will turn easy though with the rear spark plug out! Both plugs in and it aint having it, I can turn it past the tight spot and it does turn over once and locks again.

Now I'm thinking the timing is out! it has original CCT, it sounds a bit gnarly when you turn it over by hand (plugs out ) and there is a tight spot when there shouldn't be. Anyone think the piston may be touching a valve? Anyone available to sort out my timing? I'm willing to pay. :)
It certainly appears possible the valve timing could have slipped, due to a dreaded you know what failed,

Chris.
Pon

Post by Pon »

sirch345 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:00 pm
It certainly appears possible the valve timing could have slipped, due to a dreaded you know what failed,

Chris.
I suppose as it's already stripped down I might as well check if the timing is out (after reading up a bit on here) I'll try the old straw down the plug hole at TDC and see if its right on the markings.
Is it saveable if one of the CCT has failed? Would it be just a case of lining up the cams again and installing a new CCT?
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Check the valve lash. If it is way out, you have a bent valve. If in spec or close you might get away with just changing the CCT :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Pon

Post by Pon »

8541Hawk wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:32 pm Check the valve lash. If it is way out, you have a bent valve. If in spec or close you might get away with just changing the CCT :thumbup:
:thumbup: Fingers crossed.
Pon

Post by Pon »

Pon wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:50 pm
8541Hawk wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:32 pm Check the valve lash. If it is way out, you have a bent valve. If in spec or close you might get away with just changing the CCT :thumbup:
:thumbup: Fingers crossed.
Oh well it looks like a bent valve! I put me straw in the front pot and just as you get to where it tightens and then gives the straw wobbles up & down!
Anyone after some VTR parts - I can't be on with taking it any further.
Open to offers on all parts - I reckon I'm having the bottom fairing and maybe the starter motor as it's newish.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Where are you?
There's almost always someone nearby who can help you sort it.
Bent valves aren't terminal.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pon

Post by Pon »

tony.mon wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:04 pm Where are you?
There's almost always someone nearby who can help you sort it.
Bent valves aren't terminal.
I hear ya but there's a wobble on the piston when it just goes over the tight spot so it may be more than just a bent valve?
In the end, it's how much would it cost to repair (valves, maybe piston, maybe head, maybe a bit of CCT in the engine) vs what it'd be worth fixed vs will I get my money back selling the plastics, seat & exhaust and keeping the rest as spares for my other VTR. You can have the whole bike for £650 But it is stripped down already.
Pon

Post by Pon »

BIKE NOW SOLD