Exhaust cam as intake?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Aznpersuasion89

Exhaust cam as intake?

Post by Aznpersuasion89 »

Hello everyone,

I did the obligatory search and didn't come up with any results, and seeings as aftermarket cams are hard to come by, has anyone used the higher lift exhaust cam in place of the intake? I have a spare set of cams and am curious if this will work. Apologies if I missed the post explaining this.
freeridenick

Re: Exhaust cam as intake?

Post by freeridenick »

It's been discussed on here so someone will be along with I link soon. iirc there is a benefit but not sure how big.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

No benefit, and lift is actually lower on exhaust cams if i remember correctly. Try to measure them, it is easy, just deduct round diameter from total lobe height.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

One cam has slightly more lift than the other, but the difference is negligible and makes no difference.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Aznpersuasion89

Post by Aznpersuasion89 »

The exhaust had higher lift. I measured the intake at 1.566" and the exhaust at 1.574". I converted the sizes to mm and realized there isn't even a mm difference in height. So I guess it is a moot point. Thanks for the replies anyway gents.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I had a cam company (Newman Cams in Kent) grind some of the base profile away to get about 1mm more lift but also increased duration.
It made a difference, but required much thicker shims, and as they weren't surface hardened as well as the original case hardening they wore quickly. I ran them for a couple of years.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.