Rear shock - can it be rebuilt?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bingo808

Rear shock - can it be rebuilt?

Post by bingo808 »

Hi
Now moving on to the back of the bike. Getting fork seals done on front so front end should be ok.

Now to the rear shock. How do I tell if it needs fixing? Bike has done over 112,000km so I think it's tired.
Someone put it together, so I should be able to pull it apart.
Jamoi

Re: Rear shock - can it be rebuilt?

Post by Jamoi »

After 112k km's, I'd be gratefully thanking it for its hard work and promptly retiring it to the skip

Could be worth looking into an aftermarket shock, there are some really good replacements for not a great amount of money.
Jamie :wave:
bingo808

Post by bingo808 »

Jamoi wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:31 am After 112k km's, I'd be gratefully thanking it for its hard work and promptly retiring it to the skip Image

Could be worth looking into an aftermarket shock, there are some really good replacements for not a great amount of money.
Yes, aftermarket seems to be the go. I've found a brand name - YSS. They seem to be reasonably priced. What are they like?

Part number for my bike is MZ456-345TRL-07 (I think!). Would I need get a stiffer spring to handle my butt? (130kg & 189cm tall)

(Ha ha I typed in "butt" but it changed to butt when I submitted! Try it a.r.s.e)
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

YSS have a good reputation, Popkat on here has been selling them through his motorbike shop,so could provide more info.

I have used Nitron. WP and Ohlins, but prefer the Nitron (even the base model).

if you are buying new you jest tell them your weight, and they will fit a suitable spring.

if you are buying 2nd hand, check the spring against the spring load calculator and factor in £80 for a new spring
AMcQ
bingo808

Post by bingo808 »

I can find a suitable YSS shock on ebay at a good price, plus I can pay it off on a payment plan.

I sent the seller a message asking if they could fit a different spring. Sadly they replied No, and that the current spring was good for a 90kg rider.

How do I get in touch with popkat? I tried to send a private message but I am not allowed to.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

i have sent popkat a PM for you
AMcQ
popkat

Post by popkat »

I can supply YSS but only as they come, also as people have been discounting them it's become harder to compete when I have to factor in post, I can check price if you like but may a better bet might be Brookes suspension as I think they can supply new YSS and spring to suit saving you extra cost.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

M-Shock may be another option. I got one with a specified spring for my KTM. It only has compression dampening adjustment but it transformed the Duke 390. And at a very reasonable cost too.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

This is my experience with YSS shock absorber. Maybe I had bad luck, but...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=43022&hilit=felix+barrao

I changed it for the original one, ( with 90.000 km on it) and actually I didn´t notice too much difference.. three months later it failed, and sudently drained all the oil to the exhaust downpipes and rear wheel..
I have to say that YSS responded well, and returned to me the full money.
rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

Yss are made in Thailand, and are a big company.