Petrol issue??????????????

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tony.mon

Re: Petrol issue??????????????

Post by tony.mon »

"When I hear this noise in 1st or 2nd gear, if I pull the clutch in immediately so I'm free wheeling the noise disappears"

Without wishing to be alarmist, it might be the big bearing behind the clutch. It's an engine out job and split the cases if so...
I've only had one go, on one of my own engines.

To find out, drain coolant and remove the water pump, then pull the clutch cover off. If you can feel play in the clutch and larger primary gear, it's that.

If it is, the good news is that you don't need to remove the heads, pistons or crank- just turn the engine upside down, remove the sump, clutch, oil pump and lower crankcase half.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:26 pm "When I hear this noise in 1st or 2nd gear, if I pull the clutch in immediately so I'm free wheeling the noise disappears"

Without wishing to be alarmist, it might be the big bearing behind the clutch. It's an engine out job and split the cases if so...

To find out, drain coolant and remove the water pump, then pull the clutch cover off. If you can feel play in the clutch and larger primary gear, it's that.

If it is, the good news is that you don't need to remove the heads, pistons or crank- just turn the engine upside down, remove the sump, clutch, oil pump and lower crankcase half.
Easy job then... Time to invest in a Skylift Chris... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Cheap engine stand from machine mart does the job for me.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Pete.L wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:23 pm What about your CCT mod? could that need adjusting?

Give it a tank of sainsbury's cheep sh!t E5 and see if it goes away first :thumbup:
No point chasing your tail if the bike just doesn't like super :wink:
It's nothing to do with my CCT mod Pete, as at the moment I have manual's fitted, good thought all the same.

The plan is to try some of the E10 sh1te next and go from there. I only stripped it down to check the camshaft holders were still done up tight after Jamie's post got me thinking about them. I didn't want to ride it just in case any of those had come loose, as it would cause more damage if they had.

Thanks Pete for your thought's :thumbup:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:26 pm
sirch345 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:45 pm "When I hear this noise in 1st or 2nd gear, if I pull the clutch in immediately so I'm free wheeling the noise disappears"

That's a possibility I hadn't considered Tony. I appreciate the information on how to replace that bearing :thumbup:
My bike has only done 35K and hasn't had a hard life, no drag strip racing :wink: so I'm thinking (read that as hoping) it shouldn't be that bearing gone, but certainly another possibility, and one I may have to investigate.

First off I'm going to put the bike fully back together, then try some of the E10 petrol when I can find a dry day. While I'm doing that I'll try to get a recording of the sound.

Thanks for your post Tony :thumbup:

Chris.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Have you removed the anti-rattle gear?
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

8541Hawk wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:18 pm Have you removed the anti-rattle gear?
No I haven't it's still there, good thinking all the same Mike :thumbup:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Yesterday I syphoned out most of the petrol from the Firestorm tank. Today I popped down to the filling station and put one gallon of E10 petrol in the bike and went for a half decent ride, I wanted to make sure the engine was warmed up properly.

I was set-up to make a recording of this odd noise, but it didn't happen, I could not hear any odd noise like I had been hearing at all 8O

So that is where I am so far,

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

confusing!!!!

but on the plus side, its gone
AMcQ
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

pretend it never happened?? 8)
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:17 am confusing!!!!

but on the plus side, its gone
:thumbup: I can't complain can I :wink:
lumpyv wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:50 pm pretend it never happened?? 8)
:lol: now there's an idea :shh:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Today I took the VTR out with Super Unleaded in the fuel tank, after testing out some E10 petrol last ride-out. I'm very pleased to say there were not any odd noises from the engine :thumbup:

Chris.