LH switch block

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bingo808

LH switch block

Post by bingo808 »

Hey
I was moving my bike around the other day, pushing backwards up a slightly steep bit of concrete and my left foot slipped! Down I went with the bike....

Now I have a busted gear pedal/shifter and a bent clutch lever. Both of these items I will replace.

Also have a ding in the tank. I will cover this with an ebay ABS shell/cover from China.

I feel so bad about letting it drop, but I guess it's done. Need to move on.

I've also noticed the LH switch block can be rotated slightly on the left handle bar. Is this normal? How can I pull it off to check?
Someone put it together, so I should be able to pull it apart.
MacV2

Re: LH switch block

Post by MacV2 »

bingo808 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:58 am Hey
I was moving my bike around the other day, pushing backwards up a slightly steep bit of concrete and my left foot slipped! Down I went with the bike....

Now I have a busted gear pedal/shifter and a bent clutch lever. Both of these items I will replace.

Also have a ding in the tank. I will cover this with an ebay ABS shell/cover from China.

I've also noticed the LH switch block can be rotated slightly on the left handle bar. Is this normal? How can I pull it off to check?
Two screws underside, it opens up but is hinged so doesn't come apart compleatly. I might be wrong but It might have a locating pin which goes to a hole in the bar. If not just lossen the screws & rotate & tighten back up.

Top tip...I always push my bikes backwards into the Cave. Do it with the sidestand down that way if you slip, drop it to your right & the stand will stop it falling over. Always make sure your entrance is clear. Stand wont pop up if your going backwards...If your faffing around & pulling it back & forth it can flip up so keep an eye on it before letting the bike down.

Of course if your a compleate & utter Doffus & you drop it to your left it wont help... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

It happens.... I feel your pain after 20 years of ownership not one fall or scrap, then one day in the garage on wrong side off the bike it rolled forward stand not down fully, managed to lay it down, resulted in left fairing panel scrapped and cracked at top fixing point on frame radiator grills bent in due to ending up on a paint tin.
Ok I will admit had a tear in my eye and was very p*ssed off.
It took at least 4 weeks to get over it :( Secondhand replacement parts purchased from eBay so will be undoing the damage over the winter ).
Storming About :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

early springtime i was doing a u turn on a road while sitting on the bike, missed my footing and down it went :eek2 . i actually lay under it so it landed on me :clap: .all good so far.

except that left me with the bike on top of me and i had to wait to get it lifted off me lol...

good news was not a mark on the bike :thumbup:

bad news , i looked a right end of a bell :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
bingo808

Post by bingo808 »

fabiostar wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:33 pm

early springtime i was doing a u turn on a road while sitting on the bike, missed my footing and down it went :eek2 . i actually lay under it so it landed on me :clap: .all good so far.

except that left me with the bike on top of me and i had to wait to get it lifted off me lol...

good news was not a mark on the bike :thumbup:

bad news , i looked a right end of a bell :lol:
Glad you're ok!!! These things can happen to ANYONE. A lapse in concentration, a slip, and down you go.

I'm now waiting on some parts to arrive and I noticed that the left front foot peg mount looked a little bent.

Has it been bent from the fall or is everything ok?

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

That looks bent to me. Does the heel plate touch the swing arm when the suspension is compressed?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bingo808

Post by bingo808 »

tony.mon wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:22 pm That looks bent to me. Does the heel plate touch the swing arm when the suspension is compressed?
Yes, it is bent. I don't think it touched the swingarm.

Now I've installed the new/2nd hand bits. See pics below of setup and old bent/broken parts.