Spongy Brakes?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
dessy

Spongy Brakes?

Post by dessy »

I thought my brakes were OK until I recently rode a couple of other late model sports bikes. When I jumped back on my Firestrom ('01) the front brake felt like a sponge and totally lacked the firm and responsive feel of the other two bikes (04 Buell XB12R and a 03 GSX-R 750). Is this normal or should I get the brakes checked out? Will braided lines improve the feel (firmness I guess?) and does the level of improvement really justify the expense? Any feedback appreciated.

Dessy.
RQ

Post by RQ »

Dessy,

Noticed the same thing on mine over the weekend, I have braided lines, I'm going to bleed mine this evening, reckon there could be air in it. When did you change the fluid last ?
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
Orange Robbie

Spongy brakes

Post by Orange Robbie »

Just changed from a CBR 600 to a Storm, bike I test rode mentioned spongy brakes to dealer, was told needed 4K service + brakes bled @ same service.
Running mine in + Lo + behold, spongy brakes @ front end, seem to be bedding in a bit now after 350 miles, but still nowhere near as sharp as 3 yr old CBR 600. Rear brake seems more effective, can actually feel the retardation when used.
As a side issue, mate has just bought a brand new spanker Buell X-1S Lighting, with the rim mounted front brake, was told 1k before they start working!
Slow in, slow out. Ohh err missus, now with added G-Force carbon fibre race cans. Sounds like a Spitfire.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I have only had my VTR for a short time but I can honestly say the brakes are shite. Fine if you want to pansy about but if you want some bite upgrade the pads and put some good dot 4 with braided lines on.
captainkirk11

front brakes

Post by captainkirk11 »

Same thing....I took out a SV1000 in Jan and realized my fronts were shite. Put on braded lines and EBC HH pads.
Made a f*ck up outside Rye this morning, blasting past car when car came out from lay by, I managed to lock the front wheel momentarily so I' m convinced my fronts are ok.....pity I had to throw the pants away though !!!!!
dessy

Re: front brakes

Post by dessy »

captainkirk11 wrote:Same thing....I took out a SV1000 in Jan and realized my fronts were shite. Put on braded lines and EBC HH pads.
Made a f*ck up outside Rye this morning, blasting past car when car came out from lay by, I managed to lock the front wheel momentarily so I' m convinced my fronts are ok.....pity I had to throw the pants away though !!!!!
Poor brakes (compared to the latest sports bikes at least) seems to be a Firestorm trait then. Interested in feedback as to how much difference braided lines actually make? Is it a substantial difference? Same question for aftermarket brake pads?
Dessy
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

I put braided hoses on mine over winter and must say that there was a marked difference in the stopping power, still running the standard pads at the moment. Worth doing Dessy.

Ian
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."