Dunlop 208 Review

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Dunlop 208 Review

Post by Pete.L »

Well folks a little while back I was asking about the Dunlop 208's
http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/phpBB2 ... php?t=1318

At the time It seemed like most of you either got on well with them or didn't get on at all.
Sad to say I fall into the second catagory. I,ve had the rear fitted a couple of weeks ago, so I'm finally running them as a pair. Having given them some gentle abuse to get them scrubbed in I have been blaming the skitterage nature of them on the weather and salty roads. Now things are warming up and I would expect them to settle down and the bike to go where I point it and the rear to stay roughly in line. But No :x twice the back end has stepped out violently and unexpectantly. The front dipped away from me on another occasion and nearly dumped me down the road when I started to push it (and I was nowhere near full lean) and I must say they are n't the least bit confidance inspiring at all.
To be honest I wish I hadn't been such a penny pincher and spent the extra and stuck with the Bridgestone's. :cry: At least they're prodictable and give you some feedback when you're near the limit.

So all I can add to that is DUNLOPS 208 a big thumbs down

Pete.l
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Give them time. I found that they seem to take a bit more "running in" than Bridgestones and can be a bit skittish if you've been off the bike for a couple of weeks. I run them in all weathers and only found them lacking grip on sheet ice!!

The other thing I would say is that they can be a bit sensitive to tyre pressure. Run them at the recomended Hoda pressures and you'll be fine.

Al.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Cheers Al,
Must admit, Ive put a fair few more miles on them now and they do seem to be improving a bit. They definately need to get warmed up before getting a bit agressive with them.
Had a good run back from silverstone with all the other bikes on the road. Things were a little bit manic with everyone trying to get away from the place and one imparticular little sv650 kept trying to overtake so I let him go only to find myself pushing him through the twisty bits until I got board and just past him on the outside on a lefthand bend. So the confidence in them is slowly rising but I,m till not as happy with them as I was with the Bridgestones.
Pete.l
Hooner

Post by Hooner »

I`ve had the wink, that the new Avon Azaros are the new kids on the block as regards tyres...loads of grip and plenty of feedback...larger footprint on the road etc.....just a thought....
hat....coat...gone :D
Ride it like ya stole it !
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

I tried the old Azaro's and they were very good!
Not on a Storm though. My old RF900. You didn't even have to wait for them to warm up only problem was they were so good that I had over heating problems on long rides and they started to slip and slid all over the place. Managed to wear them out in about 1500 miles (six weeks) and decided to try something a little longer lasting (Metzlers, MEZ1.Great tyre). Also had a word with the Guy at the tyre place and he said he had had no problems with the Azaros but they did last better on smaller bikes.
If the New ones are as good as the old and they have a bit of longivty in them they'll be great :P

Pete.l
Hooner

Post by Hooner »

Quote"If the New ones are as good as the old and they have a bit of longivty in them they'll be great"quote

I`ve been told they are the dogs nads....one of the blokes on the BlackBird forum took them to a track day and claims they are far better than the Bridgstones he was running before...reckons the "footprint" is larger and the tyre is as good as if not more grippy 8O

he go`s by the handle of 1200pete on the B.I.R.D. site
i`ll post the link for you if you`re interested, he also sells them as Avon had his Bird on the stand at the last show
Hooner

Post by Hooner »

http://www.superblackbird.org/forum/....you`ll find him most in the help section on the forum (1200pete)
regards
hooner... :)
Hooner

Post by Hooner »

or you can find him here...
http://www.blackbirdspares.co.uk/
regards
hooner
:cool2
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Cheers Hooner :P
If they work and last on a Blackbird with all thier weight and power they should be pretty good on a Storm. They will most certainly be worth a try and it,s always nice to by British :P (if it's any good :wink: )
Pete.l
PJ.Shaw

Post by PJ.Shaw »

I've told you all once - why don't you listen

Pirelli

Diablo

Corsa
PJS - "Keep it on the blackstuff"
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Erith,

that's well close to me, why you no say hello then?

Del.
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

interesting topic this........Del, remember that tyre you sorted for me, (bit skittish / slippery), that's a 208.....

only actually noticed yesterday.....(Doh), given that i've always run 207's, that would explain why i've found it "Unusual"........

getting used to it now, done approx 1500 on it since fitting, but still havny got as much confidence as with 207's.....

Ho hum - it'll do, good for compression sliding when cold though...... :wink:
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Pj wrote.
I've told you all once - why don't you listen
We always listen PJ. We just don,t always do something about it :wink:

Starting to change my mind a bit more now after a sunny, dry bank hol Monday. Went out playing in some beautiful Welsh vallys with little Bro on his Blade. Had an absolute hoot. Tyre stuck like sh*t to the preverbial blanket and had a rather ragged, melted putty look to it when I got off.(quite satisfying 8) ) Best of all the Blade could'nt stay with me in the lanes and just to put Icing on the cake, we did a little racing start off a set of traffic lights down a duel carrageway and were side by side up to about 145mph and I still had a little left in the old girl. :lol:
Starting to think "Nice summer tyre" get something else for cold days.

Pete.l
t00lkit

Bike - Road Tyre Review

Post by t00lkit »

This months issue of Bike does an excellent review on road tyres, comparing all of the top makes, using the same bike (an R6) for all of the tyres.

The Pirelli Diablos come out top (joint with the Mitchelins) but the Dunlops come well down the list (I think joint last), giving front end washouts as a downfall. So some of the above comments do ring true.

Looks like the Diablos will be my choice this summer, especially since it'll probably piss it down for most of it.

Have a great weekend, Devils Bridge on Sunday for me...........! Yahoooo