Not for road use ?

General Bike chat
tosh23

Not for road use ?

Post by tosh23 »

I have a set of high level Remus end cans with no markings at all. I got pulled the other day and the officers didn't know whether the cans were legal, Due to the lack of stamps on the cans the kind police man said "I will ring in a week to find out whether they are legal",.Anyhoo I was wondering if I cut the bit of metal that has the stamp mark from a legal exhaust and riveted it on my Remus would i get away with it....Do you know of any exhausts that have the stamps on a plate like thing that are pop riveted?

Re: Not for road use ?

Post by Kitch »

Meh, I wouldn't worry about it.

Putting your own plates on is a more serious offence than having loud cans.

Because they don't state "not for road use" on them, its all good.

The ACPO revised guidelines that race cans are not automatically naughty. Yes there is a legal decibel limit, but this is not something the police can check.

The very worst you should get for loud cans is a form that says you have to ensure your vehicle is road legal and take it to an MOT station to prove it within a certain time frame.

I'm not a lawyer or anything though, so this isn't gospel. Potentially you can get Section 59 warnings and even ASBOs for loud cans - depends if the police want to be an ass about it or not - and whether you happened to pass him at 100 on the back wheel.

:)
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
Ernie Cooley

Post by Ernie Cooley »

Send them to Zorstec in Shipley and they will be able to stamp em up for you
Jim67

Post by Jim67 »

I dont think they would !!!! if its a race can not for road use they are putting there neck in a noose if they did!!!
My microns are stamped up, god knows how cos they are as loud as fcuk!!!! lol

Jim.

RACIST!!! not me....I'll race any fooker!!!!
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Kitch wrote:Meh, I wouldn't worry about it.

Because they don't state "not for road use" on them, its all good.
Nail on head with those 2 comments. Kitch is bang on.
SP1's rock!
rst steve

Post by rst steve »

I've been stopped loads of times for loud cans but never been done for them. The worst i have ever had is a mot test form thing. Just waiting to get stopped for my new ones as you can almost see the pistons down them and they are a wee bit on the noisy side. :lol:
tosh23

Post by tosh23 »

Thanks for all your comments, Just out of curiosity I dug a little deeper..and went on a motorbike legal advice forum and found this...
1. 2.59. Smoke

[SEE ALSO EXHAUSTS] The use (including causing or permitting the use of) a bike on a road in the following circumstances is an offence: Where vapours or gasses cannot escape into the atmosphere. Where parts of the machine have been altered or adjusted in order to increase the amount of smoke. Where smoke or other substances are emitted which are likely to cause damage to property or person. Where a starting device has been fitted or not mai…
legalwizard_info.php?id=45

2. 1.81. Exhausts

[SEE ALSO SMOKE] All replacement silencers must be marked with either: EU emark, or UNECE emark eg: E11 or E11+ approved number/eg 007/BSAU 193/T2/BSAU193a
legalwizard_info.php?id=40

3. 1.54. Noise

[SEE ALSO EXHAUSTS] All bikes should be fitted with exhaust systems including a silencer – sufficient and suitable for reducing (so far as is reasonable), the noise from escaping gasses. They must be untampered with! They must now comply with EC Directives – distinction being made between those first used before 01.Feb.1996 and those after. It is an offence to use a motorcycle/moped on a road if it does not meet the noise requirements and …
legalwizard_info.php?id=6
So I will dig a little deeper and let you know... :confused .
firestarter1977

Post by firestarter1977 »

my remus stubbys are road legal ! least they are stamped as been legal haha

:biggrin

the thunder rolls on!!!
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

my microns are the same mate, and due to polishing me shiney bits the "not for road use" seems to have rubbed off :wink: :twisted:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Timbo wrote:
marravtr wrote:my microns are the same mate, and due to polishing me shiney bits the "not for road use" seems to have rubbed off :wink: :twisted:
Must be a fault with Microns, when i bought mine i was warned that one had accidentally rubbed off and to be really careful with the other. Wouldnt you know it!! Rubbed right off, toally by accident, i am so clumsy. :whatever
Know what you mean, mate.
A long time ago, in a country far, far away, I broke my rear number plate, and couldn't ride to the shops to buy one- as there was no number plate.

So I made a "temporary" one from a bit of old aluminium plate and wrapped it in yellow insulating tape, then made numbers out of black tape to go on top.

Imagine my surprise a couple of years later when I realised that I'd left a number off, and had been riding about with an untraceable number on :wink:

Us bikers are a careless lot, aren't we?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mwad

Post by mwad »

Timbo wrote:
marravtr wrote:my microns are the same mate, and due to polishing me shiney bits the "not for road use" seems to have rubbed off :wink: :twisted:
Must be a fault with Microns, when i bought mine i was warned that one had accidentally rubbed off and to be really careful with the other. Wouldnt you know it!! Rubbed right off, toally by accident, i am so clumsy. :whatever

:twisted: PML
VTR's are for life, not just for Christmas
doggit

Post by doggit »

whats do you guys use to accidently remove the NFRU on the cans, i have it on mine, and i think i need to accidently remove them as i find the words really offensive :lol: :lol:
carl
The most affective way to turn petrol into noise without the side affect of horse power
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

wet n dry and autosol works a treat, or so im told :wink: :lol:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........