fair price for fitting CCT's

General Bike chat
c13tay

fair price for fitting CCT's

Post by c13tay »

Just ringing round getting some prices for fitting CCTs

Doing this as a precautionary measure

Im buying parts from silvers myself (£30 each)

So far prices for fitting CCT's, checking timing and balancing carbs are ranging from

£60 + vat to £110 incl vat

that sound about right / reasonable ??

Chris
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: fair price for fitting CCT's

Post by sirch345 »

I don't think your prices are way off, although a big difference from the cheapest quote to the dearest you've posted. I would be more concerned that the garage you take it too knows what they are doing when it comes to replacing the CCT's on a V twin.

Perhaps someone from your area on here can recommend a garage you can trust :!:

Balancing the carbs on the Firestorm in normal circumstances (nothing seized up etc) for someone who knows what they are doing is only a small job.

Chris.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Think it sounds a bit too cheap actually (share Chris's reservations)

I know from past experience the pain derived from having someone try to do the CCTs who was good at servicing etc, but clueless about setting up the timing before bodging the CCT's. I fitted my own APEs following the instructions you can get here so you don't jump a tooth etc and they are brilliant. For balancing etc, I always go to a "proper" garage where they have the right stuff and know what they are doing. Not up your way so can't recommend anyone I'm afraid.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Frontslide

Post by Frontslide »

It really isn't difficult to do the cct's, but if your not mechanically minded your at the mercy of the trade.I dont know about the balancing as ive not had the need yet, but if i was to charge for my time to fit some tensioners i think £50 would be cheap. The £60 qoute i wouldn't trust :!:
c13tay

Post by c13tay »

Thanks for the replys

I too thought the £60 quote was "too cheap"

The higher figure was using someone reccd on here so will give him a go !!

Ordered the CCTs from silvers and will be looking for some of those greenwood springs I think

Chris
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

There's a m/cycle engineer on unit 8 enterprise workshops chain caul way preston docks... supposed to be good and not a ripoff merchant so i've been told ....i've replaced mine lately . if you change you mind i could give you a hand but i'm not a mechanic

Cheers ChrisC
steveOstorm

Post by steveOstorm »

hi there just had a quote from honda in cov to supply and fit cam chain tens to my bike came out at 172 quid.the breakdown 4 that was 90.00 for parts and 82.00 4 labour thats sayin its a 1 and half hour job they say they have done loads hope this helps.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Thats a good price imo , i was £80 for 2 new cct's and gaskets delivered, from David Silvers Spares only last week, it's not a huge job to change them following the instructions on here ,but it took me a lot longer than an hour and a half 8O
Stevie
c13tay

Post by c13tay »

£80 from Silvers

Bought mine last week from there - £29 each
potterballs

Post by potterballs »

Hi

im new to this, so please help.

im told i should get my ccts done, and ive got someone to do them (bolton performance bikes) seems to realy know his stuff, he is fair priced and doesnt try to push his parts with his mark up at you. hence why im on here he told me to come on to find some ccts and he would fit them, you all keep mentioning silvers? what and where is this and is this the best price and how many do i need?

thanx for your help guys

mark
potterballs

Post by potterballs »

sorry to sound dim but what is the difference between manual and automatic (obviousley i know one probably duz it its self) but does what?
when it comes to the bike i realy do not know anything, i take it to the guy at bolton performance bikes for everything apart from putting petrol in! i can manage that :D , what do these things do? and if anyone could put a link on to help me find them i would be greatful.

cheers

mark
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

just to add my tuppence worth!! If debbens have not got the CCt,s in stock , go direct to A.p.e. at.....<salespat@aperaceparts.com> I did they where very helpful and quick . Hope this helps

cheers ChrisC
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

potterballs wrote:Hi

im new to this, so please help.

you all keep mentioning silvers?

mark
http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/

Your new best friend if you have a Honda.

Although one post mentioned second-hand bearings being supplied- I've never had a problem myself, fast, good stocks and know what they're on about.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Giddsy

Post by Giddsy »

I'm getting my bike serviced at a good bike shop (SBS in Lancing) and they are charging me half hour extra labour to fit APE ccts... bargain as it would take me all day....

Can't wait... then just reg/rec to do
Frontslide

Post by Frontslide »

Surely you need some mechanical knowledge if your going to run manual tensioner's?