Re: Tax Discs - can they be replaced?

General Biker Banter
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

b8stard! :twisted:
You've got to report it missing/stolen and the DVLA will issue you another one for a fee. It used to be a tenner but it's been a long time since i checked.
I've always used the bolt together holder ever since I had one lifted in town years ago. It make my blood boil, the useless scrotes, who just can't keep their fingers off other peoples stuff :mad2
Sorry you got done Tim.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

as above, just report get a new one, secure to vehicle using anti-theft tax holder which when disc is removed it is destroyed available post office. next tie a rotty to your bike.
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

I wouldnt worry about it ,....when i bought my bike from a chap in Carlisle 2 years ago , he told me the bike was taxed but the tax disc had been stolen, he told me where to check online, sure enough the bike was indeed road taxed . Ive taxed it since ,every 6 months ,but its never been displayed ,unless the side of my fridge freezer counts :lol:

I might buy a disc holder seeing as i'm going to Ireland soon with the bike
Stevie
donk

Post by donk »

TWATS....Find them Timbo, find them, and punish them!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:
Frontslide

Post by Frontslide »

Just leave in your pocket and in the very unlikely event your asked, show them, every time your pulled they know everything before they are out the car 8)
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

feckin w@nkers!! its no good to em now theres ANPR everywhere, keep your new one under the seat matey :wink:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
Jim67

Post by Jim67 »

The thing is if you leave it parked up without a tax disc on show then you will get done for no display of tax disc.
I this day and age we shold do away with the paper disc as its all electronic anyhows.
Imagine all the trees we would save !!!

Jim.

RACIST!!! not me....I'll race any fooker!!!!
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Jim67 wrote:The thing is if you leave it parked up without a tax disc on show then you will get done for no display of tax disc.
I this day and age we shold do away with the paper disc as its all electronic anyhows.
Imagine all the trees we would save !!!

Jim.
Jim67's right .You can be done for not displaying a tax disc, (Bet you already know)It's supposed to be on the nearside front and right way up.Thats to make it easier for some F****** Lowlife to find...Because there not very
bright!..Hope your sorted soon.
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

Cover the inside of your disc holder with double sided tape, park it up, then watch em try to get it off before you use "reasonable force" to prevent a theft :biggrin
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Jim67

Post by Jim67 »

storminateacup wrote:Cover the inside of your disc holder with double sided tape, park it up, then watch em try to get it off before you use "reasonable force" to prevent a theft :biggrin
Thats todays toptastic top tip folks !!!!!

:biggrin

Jim.

RACIST!!! not me....I'll race any fooker!!!!
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

I've had 2 nicked from the same spot locally. I now have a Oxford tax disc holder with loads of bolts in-like you mentioned Timbo.

It galls me that you have to pay 10-15 quid just to keep a silly bit of paper safe. I did go down the route of not displaying for a while (just keeping the tax disc under the seat/in my wallet) but I got one overzealous parking fascist who warned me about not having a visible tax disc...:evil:

Agree with the comments already made-it should all be electronic now. With the amount of ANPR systems about vehicle tax can be checked in seconds.
SP1's rock!
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

FirestormMike wrote:What amazes me is the fact you have to show a tax disc, but not something like an insurance / MOT disc. No insurance or MOT carry far worse penalties.
Do they not have to display insurance etc in certain other countries? Much like an MOT disc over here?
SP1's rock!
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

I've had the tax disc holders with all the bolts holding it together on my last 3 bikes. When I was fitting crash bungs to the blade I remember saying to the wife "for some reason there's only 4 bolts holding in a 130bhp engine, but 8 holding in a small bit of paper" :roll:
Rich.

LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

I hate hearing this (especially as you came close to catching the guy in the act).

I have the eight bolt Oxford type but it is only held to the frame with one (admittedly larger) bolt though.

My defense to ruin it for thieves is to laminate the tax disc when I receive it. Not only does it make changing numbers etc impossible but it stops the disc going 'soggy' with the damp/rain!!!
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Strange thing is,on my Triumph which i owned before i bough the 'storm , i only had one of those pvc sticky tax holders ,which was stuck to the inside of the screen,that's the way it was for well over 3 years ,without a problem 8O

I must've been lucky i suppose :!:

Stevie