DDDDDYNOJET!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
eltomo

DDDDDYNOJET!

Post by eltomo »

Has anybody fitted a dynojet kit before? im asuming somebody here has!

im going to on mine and i understand im going to have to drill holes in my carbs! eeek - ok fine ill do it in the name of more power!!!

is it easy to set the carbs up once i have done this though? saying i actually get this kit in the carbs OK, then what sort of setting up do i need to do or is this a job for mr rolling road with all his fnacy kit? hope not!

I will (once this is done) come back with a sequence of photos and any useful hints for people next time in my position -think of the site hits. :D
AMCQ46

Re: DDDDDYNOJET!

Post by AMCQ46 »

It is such a long time since I fitted mine that I cant fully remember all the details, but I can tell you that the drilling mod to the slide is simple and can be done with a hand drill.

Setting up was also no problem and was done without any fancy equipment. I think I only readjusted the air screw for mixture at low throttle openings [ you can do this by ear] and and idle speed. Biggest faf was getting the carbs and airbox back in with all the tubes in the correct place..............Take pictures with your digi camera before you remove anything, and it will be a piece of piss.
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I'm going to do the same, but have ordered a Factory Pro jet kit from Straightline Racing- just waiting for delivery and I'll fit it next week, assuming it arrives by then.

There's been several comments on the US sites (SuperHawk) about which one is best; depends on who you believe but apparently the jet sizes with DynoJet kits aren't in line with other size markings, so a 182 jet from DJ isn't the same as a 182 jet from Honda, Mikuni, or anyone else.
God knows why this is, go figure.

Only visible difference of note is that DJ has stepped tapers on the needles, FP's are smooth.

Apparently the Factory Pro kit doesn't need the slides drilling- they include new springs instead.

I already have a -4 degree ignition advancer to go in at the same time, and so I anticipate that I'll have to have a few rolling road runs to get the jetting spot-on. I'll do the seat-of-the pants stuff myself, then get it along to HM Racing when I think it's about right for an air-fuel ratio measurement.

A couple of things that have come up while I was researching this mod:

It's important to reset the throttle position sensor if it's not correctly set- this is quite easy to do, except for the non-tamper screws that need to be removed and replaced with 5mm screws or cap-heads.

The standard slide springs are a bloody pain in the butt to refit! I tied mine in place with a cable tie onto the cap and slid it out when it was in place before replacing one of the screws to hold it down.

Lastly you'll need a "D" shaped driver to adjust the mixture screws- and they're difficult to get to with the carbs in place. Lucky they come off so easily, really :plainsmile

Mine was putting out 106 with just straight-through cans and a K&N, so I'm looking for 110 plus once the carbs are set up properly.

Why wasn't this done before?
When i bought it the previous owner told me that it had a DJ kit already fitted, and I've never bothered to check until recently!
That'd be why it's currently running lean all the way through, then :oops:

I'll post results once it's done.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

i aint got a clue on carbs so mine went to SPR at ruddington, fantastic job, did 4 dyno runs 8) but......... £300 :wink:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

AMCQ46 wrote:It is such a long time since I fitted mine that I cant fully remember all the details

Yeah, that :biggrin

Just take your time and follow the instructions. Its pretty easy.
SP1's rock!
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

I fitted a Dynojet kit to my Storm a few years ago, after fitting Carbon cans.
From memory it came with the required drill bit and wasn't at all difficult to do.

As I recall (and it was a long while ago, and I'm over 60!) you only need drill the hole if you are going racing/track day. I did it anyway and it did make a small, but noticeable difference to performance.
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Well, I got my Factory Pro kit this morning- and it seems that for Storms there ISN'T a need for replacement springs- you use the originals. But you don't need to drill the slides, so if that's a worry, then FP might be the answer.

They include an assortment of main jets, two pilot jets, needles, circlips, and mixture adjuster and (nice touch) some replacement Allen screws to replace the float bowl screws. Also full instructions, which I can post, but they're on the FP website anyway.

Will fit the kit in the next few days and let you know what' if any, improvement there is.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
solorider

Post by solorider »

a bit of advise,dont go by the dyno jet instructions for the settings,both bikes i have had the dyno jet kit fitted to have run very rich.i would leave the pilot screw settings as original,and i would lower the needles,not as dyno jet say,if i can find the kit i may go down a size on the jets,my blackbird (wish i had it still)i did all of what i mentioned and it was a massive difference before and after altering the dyno jet settings,at the moment mine is running rich.im getting 27mpg around town,and that is without riding the bike hard