Geartrain backlash

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
numbnuts

Geartrain backlash

Post by numbnuts »

Hi yawl,
Can anyone tell me if these bikes suffer from excessive backlash in the drive
train? mine has done16,000km, i've had it since 9,000 and as far as i can
remember it has always suffered this,i notice it especially when riding in the
lower gears when rolling on & off the throttle in traffic, the chain is well lubed
and adjusted. I've been getting paranoid about unusual noises ever since the
buell let go.
Am i worrying about nothing or do i have a problem?
There's nuttin like a throbbin " V"
tony.mon

Re: Geartrain backlash

Post by tony.mon »

Have you changed the cush drive in the rear hub?

Also, when adjusting the chain try to get someone of a similar weight to you sit on the bike while you adjust it. There's quite a bit of difference to the chain run, and therefore tension, when it's carrying a rider.

Lastly, whip off the LH side sprocket cover and make sure that the bolts holding the sprocket on are secure.

I have to say I haven't noticed more slack than on other bikes with the Storm.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I'd say the same as Tony, your cush drive rubbers could be worn. If you grab hold of the rear sprocket (while the bike is on it's side stand, engine off) see if you can move it backwards and forwards without the rear wheel moving, that will give you a rough idea what they're like.

Also as Tony says I don't think the Storm has any more back lash than any other bikes I've ridden.

Chris.

PS. If you're going to check the front sprocket bolt as tony mentions, while you're there check the sprocket for any movement backwards and forwards on the splined shaft.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Oh, one more to check- play in the swinging arm bushes and bearings. If the arm's moving a little it will affect the chain play.
Again, pull it over onto the side stand and you can grab the rear wheel and pull/push to see if there's any play.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

a worn final drive chain can cause you to have vibration, through bike and pegs also can give excessive backlash, some chains will not wear evenly, especially if sat for a while. found this last month with mine..Image the soft link eventually gave out(may also have suffered lack of internal lube when it was fitted), also done the ice-cream tub mod to the cush drive.....http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... #p42428.my thread here on chain....http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13958
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
numbnuts

Post by numbnuts »

Thanks all,
I checked the front sprocket, cush drive and all seems ok, just me gettin
paranoid i suppose,did'nt fancy havin two bikes in bits and no room to do it
There's nuttin like a throbbin " V"