Chain Adjustment?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Beast

Chain Adjustment?

Post by Beast »

Just seeing if anyone has had a similar problem.
Putting the bike back to standard as im touring next month, so after fitting back low link pipes and new C&S i noticed that theres not much clearance between underneath swingarm and top of link pipe.
So to be honest at the moment the chain is tighter than usual otherwise the chain is dinking or running on the link pipe.
Im pretty sure it never use to be like this or its just me?
Have checked everything over but to no avail.
Any ideas or nothing to worry about as its been a while since i have had low levels on?
Cheers
goody

Re: Chain Adjustment?

Post by goody »

I've just picked up my 'new' Storm and the chain has been rubbing on the link pipe there and worn a small hole in it. I'm guessing they were not aligned properly when put on Scorpion high levels. Need to get it repaired and see if I can line them up better.
Beast

Post by Beast »

Perhaps its a flaw on aftermarket pipes then?
My high levels are fine, just the low levels as it already has a mark where the chain has run across it before but that was my fault once when i was too lazy to adjust the chain. :)
It just seems closer than before, strange.
For now i have slipped on an extra clamp to protect that area.
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

have you jacked up the back? this can cause the chain to touch
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
Beast

Post by Beast »

Ah good thinking batman...
Not so long ago i adjusted the shock up two notches, will undo and give that a try.
Cheers.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I had the same problems some years back with the chain touching the link pipe. It was because the crease that was there to give the chain clearance was in the wrong place, the flat spot of the crease was not parallel with the chain if you get what I mean.

I'm not sure all after market link pipes have a crease in them, I think some use a smaller diameter pipe to gain clearance.

Also as with a lot of things some are better manufactured than others, you get what you pay for IMHO. But you don't want it touching the pipe as there will soon be a hole in it.

Chris.
Beast

Post by Beast »

Cheers for the reply Chris.
Have adjusted the shock back down two notches to where is use to be and re-adjusted the chain and all seems alot better.
Yes i understand about the crease or flat spot on the link pipe, perhaps i have pushed it on too far as the chain touched where it just starts to bend. I will have to check again.
The diameter of the lower link pipes are larger than the high level link pipes i have.
The lowers are Viper and the highers not too sure. :)
goody

Post by goody »

I've just took off the scorpion high level link pipe because the chain was rubbing it and making a noise. Putting the standard one back on I noticed that the support below the footrest had been to the inside nearer the swingarm, the original has gone back on with the support bracket on the otherside of the footrest hanger, if the other pipe had been fitted like this it would have given more clearance.
goody

Post by goody »

So what is the right side? Should the exhaust bracket be on the outside of the footrest hanger? I think to get mine all lined up properly I'll have to get a new set of exhaust gaskets loosen everthing including the headers line it all up then tighten it all.
Beast

Post by Beast »

On my old storm the lower link pipes (micron) was spot on and with no problems. And bolted through the inside of the footrest hanger with no problems. Chain clearance was brilliant.

On my current Storm, the high level link pipes (dont know brand) does not have any mounting points and yet again are great with chain clearance.

My current low level pipes (viper) do have mounting points but the left side sits right next to and close to the swingarm, wouldnt be able to mount it to footrest. Even though i have now adjusted my shock it gives me a little clearance but not much.

To be honest i cant remember if original pipe mounts mount on inside or outside?
Might have to look at some pics.
goody

Post by goody »

Theres always heat and a hammer.
Reshape it where it's close to the chain