Indicator problems (again)

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tattie

Indicator problems (again)

Post by tattie »

Some of you will remember me going on about a problem with the indicators on the SP a few weeks ago, well I thought I had solved everything, checked all the connectors that I could find and crimped some of them up and bingo things somehow worked again.
Sat afternoon I wheeled the beast out to go across to Cromarty to look at a job and as usual I do all the checks and -uck me the indicators on the back (led non standard by the way) are both flashing together and the front not at all :mad2 :mad2 :mad2 :mad2 . RIGHT, I got the seat cowl off and traced the rear indicator wires back to the original connectors. between the led flashers and the original conections there are 2no male / female connectors and in between these there is on both, a 25-35mm length of heat shrink with something inside. Will this be some type of resistor????or electrical gismo connected to the led blinkers or what???
Also when the leds were both flashing these bits of heat shrink were getting hot :eek2 . Anyway I fiddled a bit more with the connections and they started to work (the leds that is) but the flasher unit stopped "ticking" but the leds were working ok. So I fiddled again and tapped the flasher unit (as you do when you are clutching at straws) and hey presto it started ticking again, but still no fronts working. It was getting late by now and I reckoned that the rear indicators were more important than the fronts, I arrived at the site and looked at the job and hoped that the rattling of the 30 miles would have sorted everything but to no avail. So Short of stripping all the bodywork off has anybody got any ideas or knowledge of LED's :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: I have a set of ordinary bulb type indicators and am thinking of just fitting them.

any advise will be appreciated.

Cheers

A.M.
Common sense ain't all that common!
chuxsta

Re: Indicator problems (again)

Post by chuxsta »

not sure what was suggested or done when you mentioned it before as i have been away from the site for a few months..

have you tried putting standard bulb flashers back on to see the result..

have you tried swapping the front and rear LED flashers over to see if the problem follows... fronts now work backs dont..

what about trying some one else's LED indicators ( if you know any one with them that is though )
warby221

Post by warby221 »

Had a word with Andy last time and he was telling me he had a repair on the front left (I think) indicator done by a bike shop in Preston
Said that they replaced a wire that had broken inside the insulation
I'm thinking that this may be a continuation of the same problem
Track down the repair and check further back for continuity
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Sounds like the drop down resistor has cracked its solder joint but without knowing the details of the LED, i.e. forward voltage and drive current its hard to say why it is getting hot.
Ride Safe
Phil
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

i had a prob like that on my old blade, i ripped out the inline resistor's and bought a new flasher relay from the bike shop for LED indicators, worked spot on and never had any probs again, £15 i paid :wink:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
tattie

Post by tattie »

Thanks for the replys,
Chuxta, I tried the ord ones I have and they worked but mega mega bright 8O and it is only the back indicators that are led's.

Warby, I txtd Andy when this problem first appeared and he told me about the front right, I found what I thought was the repair that he mentioned and checked it and it seemed ok.

Phil, I am out of my depth with forward voltages and drive currents I am afraid. :confused

Marra, That thought had gone through my mind as well, to buy a new flasher unit.

My actions from here are to fit the ord bulb rear flashers I have, after removing the resistor type things at the rear. Then if no joy, remove the front fairing and have a root about the front connectors right back to the oe connections.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

Cheers

A.M.
Common sense ain't all that common!