Re: Sunday 21st march 2010.

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Cheers Tim, Hope your day was'nt too spoiled ,having an unplanned walk ,you did well ...it's a big bike you have there ,i asume it's just got a petrol gauge and no reserve.You'll have to get some of the boffins on the website to come up with an idea to have some sort of reserve tap on the tank.
Chris
warby221

Post by warby221 »

Bloody ell Tim I’m 5 mins up the road why didn’t you call could have had fuel there in 10
Mined you it would have been £5 a litre
:lol: :lol:
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

warby221 wrote:Bloody ell Tim I’m 5 mins up the road why didn’t you call could have had fuel there in 10
Mined you it would have been £5 a litre
:lol: :lol:
Hey you...but out....I was lining him up for £7 per litre...... :lol:
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
lee67

Post by lee67 »

sorry i dint make it lads, ended up on the east coast for some sun( well it is my last run for a while) :( ....catch u all later in the year if im allowed on the bike :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

It sounds like you boys had some fun, well apart from your bike push that is Tim. Been there and done that a few times over the years so I know what that's like :thumbdown:

Cheers for the pic's Tim, I especially like those of the BSA :D

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

bikerpiker wrote: Love the BSA in the pic , funny thing is i cant remember any on the road ,i'm nearly 46 ,so there should have been quite a lot of Brits on the road in the late 70's ,early 80's ,all i can remember locally was a Norton ,a chap with a Bonnie ,and another with a Triton ,yet i can remember loads of Jap bikes though in those days.
Talking of Triton's Stevie here's a pic of one of my old Triton's. It looks a bit dated now IMHO.

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Timbo wrote:
sirch345 wrote:It sounds like you boys had some fun, well apart from your bike push that is Tim. Been there and done that a few times over the years so I know what that's like :thumbdown:

Cheers for the pic's Tim, I especially like those of the BSA :D

Chris.
When i took the BSA pics, I had 2 people on here in mind, you were one of them, i know you can appreciate a good example, and that certainly is that (wouldnt have posted them here otherwise :)). Though main reason was to email then to my Dad. Wished i had videod it, it sounds great with its 2 into 1 on it, was straight through as well, nice crack when it started first kick.

The 500 LC is very tidy as well though, very tidy.
Good man Tim :thumbup: The reason I appreciate them is because I had some of them, although most of them not as nice of condition as the BSA you saw. You're right about the sound they make, nothing quite like a good old British bike for that :D

I agree the 500 LC is also a very tidy bike, and getting a little rare now.

So thanks Tim for posting :thumbup:

Chris.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

That LC looked very 8) Tim...

Nice to see bikes like the BSA and Yam out being used :thumbup:
SP1's rock!
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

sirch345 wrote:
bikerpiker wrote: Love the BSA in the pic , funny thing is i cant remember any on the road ,i'm nearly 46 ,so there should have been quite a lot of Brits on the road in the late 70's ,early 80's ,all i can remember locally was a Norton ,a chap with a Bonnie ,and another with a Triton ,yet i can remember loads of Jap bikes though in those days.
Talking of Triton's Stevie here's a pic of one of my old Triton's. It looks a bit dated now IMHO.

Chris.
That's not how i remember them Chris,the one i used to see regularly had a sort of long bare aluminium unpainted tank ,looks like you had the posh version ,i bet you pulled the birds with that :wink:

I'm not even sure what a Triton is ? ,i always thought it was a Norton engine in a Triumph frame ,or was it the other way round?

Another thing ,did those old Triumphs (or was it Norton's)with the 'featherbed frame' really handle as well as they say they did ? wtf is a featherbed frame ?.........it's just hard to believe the stories of them handling so well ,...........seein as i've got a fatter tyre on my pushbike in the shed :!:
Stevie
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

bikerpiker wrote: That's not how i remember them Chris,the one i used to see regularly had a sort of long bare aluminium unpainted tank ,looks like you had the posh version ,i bet you pulled the birds with that :wink:

I'm not even sure what a Triton is ? ,i always thought it was a Norton engine in a Triumph frame ,or was it the other way round?

Another thing ,did those old Triumphs with the 'featherbed frame' really handle as well as they say they did ? wtf is a featherbed frame ?.........it's just hard to believe the stories of them handling so well ,...........seein as i've got a fatter tyre on my pushbike in the hut :!:
Stevie, I must admit I did alright with the birds on that one :wink: That one had a Dunstall tank and seat unit + fairing on it that's why it looks different. The ones you're thinking of are probably more like this one below. Mine would have looked more like that without all the Dunstall body panels.

The Triton was a Triumph engine in a Norton frame, you had it right with the latter :) Basically the Triumph engine was better/faster than the Norton engine, but the Norton handled better with it's featherbed frame, hence the best from both bikes, the Triton was born.

Explaining "The Featherbed" name:-
Harold Daniell was a successful Isle of Man TT racer with three victories and several placings in the Tourist Trophy races and the Manx Grand Prix. After testing the new Norton frame in 1950 he declared that it was like "riding on a featherbed" compared with riding the "garden gate" — and it has been called the featherbed frame ever since.

Yes, for their time they really did handle very well, especially if you compared the featherbed frame to say (another bike I had) a 1960's Triumph 650 Thunderbird's frame which felt like it was hinged in the middle in comparison. None of that from the Triton. You can't really compare them to todays bikes. Yes their slim by todays standard tyres and also you have to remember the 650 or 750 twins were only putting out probably less than half the bhp the Firestorm does.

Although the tyres were slim and the bhp down by todays standards the most limiting part was the rider. If you had the balls to really push it into a corner the Featherbed frame would hold it's line no problem :!:

Chris.

PS. My apologies for the thread hi-jack :wink:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Chris said
PS. My apologies for the thread hi-jack
No appologies needed, it's all about ride outs and bikes and good piccies of both.
I'm lovin it :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal