Running Rough...

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
viva_la_vee

Running Rough...

Post by viva_la_vee »

Here is the problem.....my VTR starts, ticks over and revs freely through the range whilst in neutral....when it's going and I crack the throttle open it stutters and spits then goes really well. Same problem occurs when I throttle off and bike on over run and I try to accelerate again? Feels like it's running out of fuel but obviously not......Going to change plugs tomorrow and hope it's a duff plug. Reading some of the threads on here I'm starting to worry!!!! Any suggestion???
geodude

Re: Running Rough...

Post by geodude »

Have you had the tank off recently?
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
MarkHunt

Post by MarkHunt »

Hi Mate,

Couple of questions - Have you had the fuel tank off lately ?
If so, it's easy to fit one of the tubes to the fuel tap to the wrong location and this gives the symptoms you have described.

Have you got an after-market air filter (K&N for example) fitted which you have cleaned and re-oiled lately ?
If you over-oil the filter, it provides the symptoms you have described.

I may be on the wrong track, but the above are my immediate thoughts as I think it's fuel - air-related

regards

Mark
viva_la_vee

Post by viva_la_vee »

Thanks guys....
No not had the tank off and I haven't checked the air filter as yet...only had it a couple of weeks, I picked it up in a van so didn't notice the stuttering til I took it out weekend just gone. This being said though, it had been serviced the week before he sold it? It was a pensioner who I bought it from and obviously knew nothing about this problem and probably never opened the throttle properly. Carbs were balanced at time of service also. Mileage is 12,997.
MarkHunt

Post by MarkHunt »

Hi,

I'd definitely suggest checking the breather and fuel pipe fitments to make sure they are firstly, connected properly and secondly, that none of the breathers is blocked. I'd also check the air filter while you have the tank off to make sure this hasn't been over-oiled or possibly never cleaned so despite the low mileage, it may have been sitting around for awhile. It's also possible that as you brought it off a pensioner, it may have been ridden very carefully and so never really opened up and this may have oiled up the plugs. Could the fuel have gone off and blocked up the carb jets, another possibility.

I'm pretty sure it's likely to be a problem in this department, rather than anything more sinister.
One thing that caught me out when I first got my Storm, was never to fill the petrol tank up to the brim while you're still sitting on the bike as this can cause an air lock which stops the bike revving and deposits fuel out of the breather pipe below the engine. (you have to open the petrol cap to clear it)

Best of luck.

Mark
viva_la_vee

Post by viva_la_vee »

Cheers Mark, went to local bike shop and ordered a full service kit today so will be here tomorrow. Will check airbox/lines etc tomorrow when I take the tank off and let you know the results...again, many thanks for all your help,
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yep, my money's on the over-oiled K&N, if not that a stuck-on choke is a possibility.

Unfortunately to see the choke splitter properly you have to remove tank, carbs, plastic heat shield and peer round the thermostat; not exactly an easy ten-minute job.
But it could be that the cable is not properly inserted into the splitter.

Try just undoing the choke knob and making sure that in the "off" position it has a little slack.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
viva_la_vee

Post by viva_la_vee »

Thanks guys, took carbs off today and cleaned them, replaced plugs and cleaned air filter....not sure which one it was but its running ace now!!! :D
MarkHunt

Post by MarkHunt »

That's good news mate, glad you're up and running smoothly again.

Enjoy.

regards

Marky Mark
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Well done, it's often the case that you do a few things then aren't sure which one it was that made a difference.

Well done for curing it :D
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.