clutch problems

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
blacknek

clutch problems

Post by blacknek »

hi guys,

the past couple of times i ride the bike, the clutch lever is gettin stiff and wen Im tired its quite hard to pull in... any thoughts on this???

blacknek ( ed )
tony.mon

Re: clutch problems

Post by tony.mon »

Your choices are:
Tight lever pivot
Master cylinder sticky
Slave cylinder sticky
Pushrod
Clutch basket
Clutch top hat bearing (lift bearing)

Unbolt the slave cylinder and see if it's any lighter; if it's the same it's the top end or slave cylinder, if it's lighter it's the pushrod or bearing.

TBH the clutch basket wearing notches isn't likely, as this wears pretty slowly and you wouldn't notice it getting incrementally notchier in normal use.

Bear in mind these are a bugger to bleed, just keep on keeping on and you get there in the end, unless you have a vacuum bleeder and can pull fluid down from the bleed nipple.

Oh, and the slave cylinder has a spring so unless you tie it in place (I use a G clamp) it will extend until air gets in behind the piston. You're alright for a minute or two but if left it'll push itself out.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

tony.mon wrote:Your choices are:
Tight lever pivot
if it has the original levers on there's a possibility that the casting has broke off just before the pivot brass insert.
it then pushes the pushrod to the side and can bend it - the rod is only 4mm diameter or so.
*(i mean the little pushrod that goes into the drilled brass lever insert & pushes the master cylinder piston, not the pushrod under the casing)
i've changed a few in the past because of this - took the one off my storm and that had gone as well.
the casting is like 2mm thick and made of toy metal!
i'd say beware of cheap immitations but the honda genuine ones are just as bad.
if you've scraped the end of the lever or dropped it, it's probably that - they are very weak!

i used to wonder how pazzo could justify charging 150+ for a lever - that's why lol - they don't break!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
MarkHunt

Post by MarkHunt »

Hi Benny,

I reckon this is the problem with my clutch as well because the action in the master cylinder is not smooth and I think this pushrod looks bent to me. Can you get it as a seperate Honda part do you know ?.

regards

Mark