headlight

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Jazzscot

headlight

Post by Jazzscot »

As you guys prob know the stock headlight is crap, I noticed the other night while coming home in the dark after rugby training that if I press the headlight flash switch (whaterver its called) allows full beam and main headlight to be both on at the same time thus providing better lighting. I was reading in this months ride Q+A section and they were discussing the law with regard to HID bulbs.

" the current legislation applies specificaly to cars and motorcycles are not referred to.However, for cars there are three basic rules :Headlights must be self-leveling, headlight washers must be fitted; and when switching to main beam, the dip beam must remain on (to prevent a 'black hole' betweenone light going off and the other illuminating).Acumen suggest that if you want to upgrade to HID, then rule three is crucial, so wire it so that dip beam stays on. Headlight bulb suppliers say that it's illegal-but nobody ever checks"

How would this relate to me wiring up both bulbs to be on at the same time on full beam.

Your thoughts please

Jazz :thumbup:
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
chuxsta

Re: headlight

Post by chuxsta »

I am probably wrong on this one as im sure i have seen bikes with the HID lighting but im sure i have read somewhere that they are illegal on bikes..

but what you said might be the reason why ...

i only read some where and i very rarely read all of something unless it has pictures so its just an uneducated comment to your post..
MJONESY

Post by MJONESY »

i thought they were crap so when my bulb went the other week i put a rally bulb in there, my thinking is that if a car has 2 x 55w and 2 x 60w and be legal then 1 x100w and 1 x 80w cant be to bad, you can see a hell of a lot more with it and for a £6 conversion its one hell of a lot cheaper than a hid kit.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i asked about this when i first got mine as the headlamp as you say is not the best.

recommended was an eastern beaver headlamp relay kit and 130/95 rally bulb (illegal lol)

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Produ ... _kits.html
you want the h4 single headlight heavy duty relay kit.
get the ceramic socket if you are going for the 130/95 bulb.
another option is the double headlight relay kit, which puts high and low beam on together when you select high beam - thought about this but thought that 225w drain on my electrics was a bit much lol - the 130w is way bright enough on it's own.

and it's a very very good improvement over standard.
not really advisable to run a 100w bulb through the standard switchgear as it won't last long - the relay kit is easy to fit, just plugs into your existing bulb socket and connects to the battery direct.

i'm sure i have a spare relay kit somewhere cos i accidentally hit the order tab twice lol!!
and the bulbs come off ebay - 8.95 for 2
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
rst steve

Post by rst steve »

You are right the o.e headlight is crap. I have tried all ways of making it better using various relay setups and bulb combinations and can conclude that the only way to make it good and safe is to retrofit a hid projector. :thumbup:
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

benny hedges wrote:i asked about this when i first got mine as the headlamp as you say is not the best.

recommended was an eastern beaver headlamp relay kit and 130/95 rally bulb (illegal lol)

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Produ ... _kits.html
you want the h4 single headlight heavy duty relay kit.
get the ceramic socket if you are going for the 130/95 bulb.
another option is the double headlight relay kit, which puts high and low beam on together when you select high beam - thought about this but thought that 225w drain on my electrics was a bit much lol - the 130w is way bright enough on it's own.
Not sure if you should run that hot a bulb in the VTR as I am told it will reportedly cause the plastic lens to get discoloured (from the heat). I am running the EB relay kit in mine along with a Hella 100/55 bulb and it lights up the road quite well. The nice thing about the 100355 bulb choise is that for most around town running it runs on stock wattage, the 100W high being in reserve for riding away from city lights and other traffic, when you really need the extra visiblity.
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Mikstr's solution also works well because the high beam's only going to be on while you're moving along, keeping the unit and plastic lens cooler due to the wind passing over it.
You wouldn't have main beam on while stationary at traffic lights in the high street, so only 55 watts running = no problem.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

ah i dunno, 55w just didn't light the road up in front of me and i found myself doing 35mph round twisties cos i couldn't see.
i use low beam a lot round the bends as high beam is more for straight lines (imo)
on other bikes ive put a halogen bulb in the daylamp to give a big spread of light either side, but it's a bit dazzling for oncoming cars.... :twisted:
the lamp lens doesn't get too hot at all with the 130/95 - i tried it when i first fitted it, ticking over in the garage while i had my clamp meter on the wires - it works fine.
doesn't alter the angle of the beam either, just is a much more intense white light instead of a dim yellow glow.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.