New tyres - what a difference

General Bike chat
Whoa Nelly

New tyres - what a difference

Post by Whoa Nelly »

Just changed the Conti something-or-others that came with my bike. They had seemed fine to me, but being the only Storm I'd ridden there wasn't anything to compare them to - everyone says the bike can be a bit slow to get turned in. I thought it was just part of the Storm's character - a burly shove to get it on its side, then it gyroscopically hauls itself back up when you relax the pressure.
Rode out of the tyre place wearing new Supermaxxes and my immediate thought was the the Whistlestop Cafe lunch had drastically altered my centre of gravity 8O It just falls over! And more alarmingly, doesn't come back up again on its own!
Some cautious scrubbing-in and readjustment to my heavy-handed riding style had me grinning by the time I got home - its like having a new bike! :D
WN! '99 Firestorm, furry dice & 2lbs of dead insects
benny hedges

Re: New tyres - what a difference

Post by benny hedges »

goodo!
does it still go wide in corners tho?
that's the 1 thing that bothered me about the handling, going into bends fast, regardless how low i put it down it would still waver off towards the white line - and beyond! 8O
hoping the new springs front & back and lowering will have sorted that..... not ridden it yet since doing it lol....

just concerned you might get overconfident lol :biggrin
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Whoa Nelly

Post by Whoa Nelly »

Overconfident?? It was a big ol' stable battlecruiser before, now its a frolicing leany thing! I think I'm scared to go near it!
Is this just how it should be, or are the Supermaxxes particularly exuberant?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

benny hedges wrote:goodo!
does it still go wide in corners tho?
that's the 1 thing that bothered me about the handling, going into bends fast, regardless how low i put it down it would still waver off towards the white line - and beyond! 8O
hoping the new springs front & back and lowering will have sorted that..... not ridden it yet since doing it lol....

just concerned you might get overconfident lol :biggrin
Benny,
My bike would run wide when I had it first coming out of a turn, but after speaking to Roger at Revolution UK I increased the preload on the front forks which cured the problem of it running wide, and that was when I had standard suspension. So I would say your new springs will make a difference for sure.

Whoa Nelly,
I sure Tim (Timbo) said those Maxxis tyres are inclined to make the bike turn in quicker. Glad you're enjoy them anyway :thumbup:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Have you got shock spacers fitted?
If so you could reduce or remove.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Whoa Nelly

Post by Whoa Nelly »

No spacers fitted, the suspension is completely stock (but next thing to do)
I don't know a huge amount about different tyre characteristics but the contrast in the feel of the bike between these and the old Contis is very marked - and I'm not sure whether I really like it or its a bit worrying..
The Supermaxxes tip over easily & feel very grippy, but its as if the sidewalls are kind of squishy - almost under inflated (which they're not). On a straight road at 50, say, if I wiggle my hips :roll: the bike squishes (can't describe it any other way) an inch or so either way. The Contis were much more stable feeling and largely ignored my hip wiggling episodes.
Its like riding on jelly. But at least its grippy jelly! Guess I need a few more miles...
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

maybe theyre like a dual compound with a stiffer band in the middle for better lifespan??
or maybe you should just pull over when you feel the urge to impersonate the king :biggrin
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

I hate the feel of the Conti's on mine (but they are shredded/flatspotted beyond belief now)

Booked in for BT023's tomorrow - £208 for the pair, ride in/ride out fitting, balanced and laser aligned....

:thumbup:
=====================================================

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

Mick B

Post by Mick B »

Just put a pair of Michelin Pilots 2CT on mine and the bike has been transformed compared to my old Metzlers.They look a very soft tyre so dont know how many miles I will get but they are very sticky on the road :thumbup:
rmh

Post by rmh »

cliveyandrews wrote:I hate the feel of the Conti's on mine (but they are shredded/flatspotted beyond belief now)

Booked in for BT023's tomorrow - £208 for the pair, ride in/ride out fitting, balanced and laser aligned....

Recently put the BT-023`s on my STORM about a month ago.....

scrubbing them in inspired confidence and the lean just went further and further...they appear to be scrubbed pretty much to the edge now s time to stop leaning any further....really stable and feel has been transformed, but the old tyres were wrecked at Donnington track day last year :biggrin

Overall very impressed and that`s a good price ... i paid about 230 fitted locally...

Rob
Rob Hunter

VTR1000 '99 / BMW S1000XR - 2016
Whoa Nelly

Post by Whoa Nelly »

benny hedges wrote:maybe theyre like a dual compound with a stiffer band in the middle for better lifespan??
or maybe you should just pull over when you feel the urge to impersonate the king :biggrin
With these 'ere bumpy roads its usually the Pete Townsend routine :eek2

http://img.allposters.com/6/LRG/26/2657/RVQMD00Z.jpg

:D
geodude

Post by geodude »

cliveyandrews wrote:I hate the feel of the Conti's on mine (but they are shredded/flatspotted beyond belief now)

Where's that Clive? TyreStocks in Gosport?
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

No mate, they wanted £259 - Coxs could do £195, and Protyre £210 - I've reserved a pair at Russtyres in Pompey...

They got close on price, without haggling - they do the alignment I want, and the guy seemed really nice.

I'm booked in for lunchtime fitting too - I'll keep you posted...

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

BarryH

Post by BarryH »

Tyres, such an emotive subject and people will never agree on whats best. I've used tyres from Metzeler since getting rid of the Dunlops the bike came with. Normally Sportec M1's, which were more capable than me. The last set have been M3's which were supplied and fitted for 173 quid. Can't see any difference between them and the M1's. They're still more capable than me. Theres not really a bad tyre on the market nowdays. You either choose between mileage or hoonage!
Pointblank

Post by Pointblank »

I recently changed my front tyre at guildford tyres (blinding service even made me a coffee while i was waiting ) i had an bt 021 fitted to match the rear , i would have gone for something more expensive as a pair but funds a bit low at the moment,anyway was shocked how different the bike felt leaning into corners etc ,felt like a different bike.

Well pleased. :)