Battery charging problem.... again

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Giddsy

Battery charging problem.... again

Post by Giddsy »

Right my bike had a flat battery again the other day and this is a brand new battery.

A couple of weeks ago you may remember I had a problem with my reg/rec connections which I have fixed. There is now a steady charge of 14 to 15v going into the battery on tickover and at 5k revs.

I have also checked the current draw. This is the first time I have done this so hope I did it correctly. I tested it in series with the battery and with the ignition on it shows about 0.6 amps and with the ignition off and alarm armed it shows zero, occasionally going up to 0.001 amps. Does this sound correct?

So as far as I can tell the reg/rec is putting voltage into the battery and nothing is drawing a current from it. So wtf is going on?.!

Any ideas very gratefully received!

Cheers,

James
Phil-VTwin

Re: Battery charging problem.... again

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Those readings do sound correct, but to get a better idea you need to check it with lights on and then compare it with the engine running and lights on but you will need a clamp ammeter to do this, dont try it with your meter in series!!!
Ride Safe
Phil
Giddsy

Post by Giddsy »

Thanks for your help Phil.

I've been thinking that it may be an intermittent fault with the alarm. It's a Datatool system 3... sorry it was a Datatool System 3. All it is now a heap of dead circuit boards at the bottom of a bin! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

A bit fiddly to get out but only a couple of hours work and bike running and charging ticketedy boo. Finger's crossed it stays that way!

James
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
That's the spirit!
Treat the damn thing with the contempt it deserves :wink:
Woke up to a flat battery myself this morning, mine own fault though, I'd left the sat nav plugged in all week and only just remembered today when I decided to take the bike to work. :oops:
Damn heavy beastie to bump start too. 8O

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal