engine

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
blacknek

engine

Post by blacknek »

hi kids,

im goin to replace the engine of the storm....any one that has done it and the best way to do it???? :silent:

ed
benny hedges

Re: engine

Post by benny hedges »

heard about your mishap blacknek, very sorry m8.... same happened to me twice with apes but i caught it and managed to tighten the red hot bolt by hand without stopping the engine lol :?
get a copy of the workshop manual from the link in the workshop section - engine out, engine in should be relatively straightforward.

good luck with it bud & next time, as i'm sure you will anyway, threadlock on the adjusting bolt! :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's not a bad job.
Tank and seat off.
Fairing off, belly pan, airbox, carbs and plastic plate underneath.
Drain coolant, and old oil (makes the old lump lighter).
Footrests, gear lever and rear brake lever/gubbins off.
Exhaust off and disconnect chain, usually easiest is to remove rear wheel, chain then slack enough to take off of front sprocket.
Remove clutch lever, and then take off sprocket cover.
Now take off water pump, rads. and thermostat housing, and all the pipes.

Disconnect any wires, coils, sensor leads etc.

Now the bike has to be balanced ready for the engine mounts to be undone, and that's the tricky bit.
If you just support the bike with a jack under the sump it's too unsteady, and you can easily drop it while wrenching on a socket or spanner.
So either tie its handlebars to something substantial on either side, or clamp the front wheel between two blocks of wood bolted to a large wooden plate.
If you can secure the front wheel then a jack underneath will lift the rear end off the ground and leave the bike secure.

Now you need to take off the swingarm and shock linkages, and then undo the engine mounting bolts.
These are sometimes a complete m/wombles, and you might need to hire or borrow the correct castellated box spanners.

The, leaving the engine on its jack, lift the back end of the bike off the engine.

Swing the new engine in the same place, and lower the bike down onto it.

Then the same in reverse order.
Make sure you put chain on before footrests and exhaust.

Go on then, have I missed anything? :D
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

well i was going to suggest, seeing as all the bodywork is off and fluids drained etc... including battery removed...
would it not be easier to remove and refit by lying the bike on it's side on the lawn?

seen this done on IL4's and was surprised how easy it made the job - ive always struggled and used brute force, crowbars, jacks etc....
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
blacknek

Post by blacknek »

ohhh thanks mates....will do that on fri....iv started to remove the exhorts, etc.....got a pit stand so take off the back wheel....couple of stands and trolly jack....so hopfully be will fine...

thanks

ed
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

good luck ed, I hope you didnt bother to do the lottery that weekend......... as you must have had all your bad luck in one go there!

Not only was it pissing down with rain when you were looking forward to a fast ride up the A6, but you must have thought that you would never need to worry about bent valves having fitted manual CCT's.

must have been an expensive weekend when you factor in the train and then coming back down with a car & trailer to collect the bike, and now the new engine and all the time to fit. Next time I tell you I am coming up to Kirkcudbright on my Bike, just ignore the invite........it will be bad luck..........you will get done speeding or something!
AMcQ
blacknek

Post by blacknek »

was a bugger gettin the engine back in :Shrug: will fire it up 2moro....i will let u know... :wtf:

ed
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

tbh you could probably recover most of the cost of the engine by selling the casings, starter, sprag gear, flywheel, clutch, gearbox etc separate on ebay...
best of luck with this one - and dont forget the threadlock on the cct's lol :roll:
very nearly had the same happen to me. twice!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

blacknek wrote:was a bugger gettin the engine back in :Shrug: will fire it up 2moro....i will let u know... :wtf:

ed
Yep.
That's why I put the engine on a trolley jack and had someone hold it steady while I lowered the frame and front wheel assembly onto it- easier to hold the frame and drop it down than try to lift the engine up.

Good luck with the button pressing ceremony. :thumbup:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
blacknek

Post by blacknek »

well, has a great run 2day on the bike....the diff engine is great...pulled better then the other engine..., had a bit of a race 2day, theres 20 lads from ireland gettin the boat back ffs the went pased me as tho i was standin still...i was doin 90 ... :crazy:

ed
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Ed,
Glad you got it all sorted, have to try and meet up again for that run up the A6 :thumbup:
AMcQ
blacknek

Post by blacknek »

yeah lov to again....

i was riding the A77 after kilmarmock, not the M77 and that was a great road again never rode that b4.......

anytime mate ok, there another bike road above windermere A592 kirkstone pass.... :thumbup:

ed