Sat Navs?

General Biker Banter
Beamish

Sat Navs?

Post by Beamish »

A question for all you well seasoned touring riders, whats the best (read cheapest) sat nav set up for touring? Can you just use a cheaper car set up in a waterproof tank bag or is that a complete pain in the ass? Which of the bike specific have you tried ?
I am going for it next season North (scotland) and South (Germany and beyond). I wnat to be able to just chose a destination then press avoid motorways and let the machine take me on an adventure!
I have experience of the Tom tom in car and it seems ok but as for bike..............I have always followed some other bugger :thumbup:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
cliveyandrews

Re: Sat Navs?

Post by cliveyandrews »

I've cable tied my TomTom to my speedo - and set it to just give turn info, not maps - works a treat!

....or if you have an iPhoe/Android mobile get Skobbler - an awesome Mobile Sat Nav

http://www.skobbler.co.uk/

You get turn by turn voice, so you can just stick your mob in your pocket, a decent pair of noise cancelling headphones (I often listen to music)

Bobs your firkin!

(Oh, I do have a Givi Sat Nav bag, never used it!)
=====================================================

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Is your Tom Tom waterproof then?
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

Nah - Bank Bags mate!

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Thats good news, thanks guys. I will get a basic Tom Tom that includes euro maps than buy a waterproof bag. Sounds like a plan.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

I have mine inside a tank bag with the clear top section. I use a piece of self adhesive velcro 'fur' on the top of the unit and some self adhesive 'gripper' velcro on the inside clear section of the bag (facing downwards). That allows me to wedge the TOM TOM 500 satnav in an accetable position to see it and then I have fitted a 12v cigar type socket to the the right side of the VTR's frame (fused too of course). This allows me to route the power lead out of the tank bag via the nearly closed zip and down to the socket.
Works for me!!!
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Thanks LSM, how long does a charge last or is it essential that I have an on bike power source?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I just use an old A-Z.

It's so old it only goes up to "T".
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
vtrbarmy

Post by vtrbarmy »

Beamish wrote:A question for all you well seasoned touring riders, whats the best (read cheapest) sat nav set up for touring? Can you just use a cheaper car set up in a waterproof tank bag or is that a complete pain in the ass? Which of the bike specific have you tried ?
I am going for it next season North (scotland) and South (Germany and beyond). I wnat to be able to just chose a destination then press avoid motorways and let the machine take me on an adventure!
I have experience of the Tom tom in car and it seems ok but as for bike..............I have always followed some other bugger :thumbup:
I got a Streetline GPS bag from Hein Gericke for £14.99 - pop your TomTom in there and then it has velcro straps on back you can use for attaching to bars etc
If you want to have a look, open up their online shop then open the catalogue .... type in page 236 & hit OK
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Excellent, thanks VTRBarmy
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Jim,
Get on the Garmin website they have a brilliant sat nav finder page. All you do is key in the functions you want ie blue tooth, euro maps, itinerary etc and it comes up with the models and prices available. Wish I had found the page before I bought mine :oops:
Timbo had a Tom Tom and I had a Garmin on our little escapade and we reckon between the two of them we could have made one good Sat Nav :D His you could store an itinerary on (ideal if you don't want to keep adding locations as you go) and mine had all the fuel and hotels and how far to each.
Next time I get one I'll put a lot more thought into the features I want. I wouldn't go bike specific either, way too expensive. I'll send you a pic of how mines set up if you like. Just chuking one in a bag and putting it in you tank bag is a pain in the a$$ when the sun's shinning, the angles all wrong and all you see is reflections.
Oh, ran mine off a ciggy lighter from halfords (£5-99) and just chucked it under the seat in a ziploc bag.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Pete.L wrote:Jim,
Get on the Garmin website they have a brilliant sat nav finder page. All you do is key in the functions you want ie blue tooth, euro maps, itinerary etc and it comes up with the models and prices available. Wish I had found the page before I bought mine :oops:
Timbo had a Tom Tom and I had a Garmin on our little escapade and we reckon between the two of them we could have made one good Sat Nav :D His you could store an itinerary on (ideal if you don't want to keep adding locations as you go) and mine had all the fuel and hotels and how far to each.
Next time I get one I'll put a lot more thought into the features I want. I wouldn't go bike specific either, way too expensive. I'll send you a pic of how mines set up if you like. Just chuking one in a bag and putting it in you tank bag is a pain in the a$$ when the sun's shinning, the angles all wrong and all you see is reflections.
Oh, ran mine off a ciggy lighter from halfords (£5-99) and just chucked it under the seat in a ziploc bag.

Pete.l
Yes please Pete piccies would be brilliant. Thats just what i need.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Cool,
I'll sort something in the morning....unless she who must be obeyed catches me before I get to the garage :wink:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

No problem pete, I have until next spring to get my touring set up sorted :lol:
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Beamish.
Without power connected it lasted about 1.5 hours max!
Now, no probs!!!!!
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!