Halfords Motorcycle Oil

General Bike chat
VeeTeeArrrrrrr

Halfords Motorcycle Oil

Post by VeeTeeArrrrrrr »

Got a 5 litre container of fully synthetic 5w 40 for £29.99, I have a had a read of the blurb on the web and its tested to APSL level, now where else can you get fully syn for 30 quid? and you get 5 litres to instead of the usual 4, and I believe you would get better protection from cold starts due to its lighter weight, and also less resistance to the starter although thats maybe virtually negligable, anyhoo seems good value to me. I am told that this is the oil in halfords name that BMW use for their bikes.....true or not?
AMCQ46

Re: Halfords Motorcycle Oil

Post by AMCQ46 »

Cant comment on the pedigree of Halfords oil, but I do know that more than one Honda mechanic has told me not to use Fully synthetic oil in the Firestorm............They say that the clutch is not happy with it, and it is also a waste of money on such and old school engine.
I always use Castrol semi synth [from halfords!]

But less than £30 is good for 5l :thumbup:
AMcQ
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

AMCQ46 wrote:Cant comment on the pedigree of Halfords oil, but I do know that more than one Honda mechanic has told me not to use Fully synthetic oil in the Firestorm............They say that the clutch is not happy with it, and it is also a waste of money on such and old school engine.
I always use Castrol semi synth [from halfords!]

But less than £30 is good for 5l :thumbup:
Yep fully synth is no longer used on many new sports bikes either (Blade, Trumpet 1050's and 675's) Good value if you are after synth though.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
MJONESY

Post by MJONESY »

i have always used halfords semi synth bike oil in my bikes and never had a problem with it, i struggle to see where the extra 20 or 30 quid on some brand name oils go, and if you have a trade card for halfords its only £20 :thumbup: and you because it is 5ltrs you get left with a bit for topping up
h3r3t1c

Post by h3r3t1c »

hein gericke 4ltrs of 10w/40 semi synthetic same spec as motul stuff + oil filter for your bike for £20
DON'T SUFFER FOOLS.... SHOOT 'EM

Suzuki GSX 750 F
Biamo Renagade
Suzuki VX800
Yamaha YZF600
Triumph T 595
Honda VF1000 F
Suzuki GSXR 750 WN
Yamaha RD 350 F2
Honda ST 1100
Kawasaki ZXR 750 L3
Honda VTR1000F
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

tbh if you change your oil every 2500 mile or so (like what i do) then anything will do, within reason, as long as it's the right grade & viscosity.
last stuff i put in mine was tesco's 15/40 semi synthetic for 13.99 for 5L, works well enough, no burning oil, no clutch slip or grabbing...
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Stormy Steve

Post by Stormy Steve »

I've used Halfords 5/40 synthetic,in my bikes VTR100F & ntv650. Without any problems at all,certainly no clutch slip.

It's good value,IMO.

Steve.