wavy or standard front discs

General Bike chat
slipper 1

wavy or standard front discs

Post by slipper 1 »

I recently bought a Firestorm that already had wavy front discs fitted. Braking was crap so put on braided hoses and changed fluid. Slight improvement. Got rid of the Goldfren pads and put on EBC sintered HH pads. Much better, but still not as much bite as I am used to. Are the standard Honda front discs better or worse than wavy discs? your thoughts please !!! (Also figured out how to post pictures !!)
[imgImage][/img]
benny hedges

Re: wavy or standard front discs

Post by benny hedges »

got standard discs on mine with goldfren ceramic carbon pads and different mc and the bike pulls stoppies no problem, not even put the braided lines on yet.
so dunno m8, maybe scuff up your discs a bit and let the new pads bed in proper.
if i grab a handfull on mine it'll throw me off no danger, wasnt the best before the mc change like but it still stopped ok.

i find the goldfren pads are great when they heat up, but in the cold / wet they are a bit poo. also they are a very hard pad so will wear the disc a hell of a lot more than a softer pad.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
slipper 1

Post by slipper 1 »

What MC did you put on your bike?
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

its off a 1986 cbx750 - matching flat black one instead of the daft odd sized round effort,
but more importantly it has a 16mm piston instead of the 12mm of the storm.
originally it just pushed 4 big pistons but now it moves 4 smaller ones.... works extremely well compared to std anyway and i like the looks of them.
posted a pic on here somewhere but im late for work atm so cba looking!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Lots of threads on here about upgrading brakes, as the std Stom set up is poor in my opinion.

in truth there will only be a very small difference between wavey and standard rotors, with the wavy losing out slightly as it has less area to bite onto [but it is better at manageing heat, so wont distort](see note below). But dont think that dumping the wavy discks and going back to stock will fix your problem............it wont!

Problem in my opinion is down to the calipers & Master Cyl.

First you may want to strip and clean the calipers, making sure you remove all the seals and clean the grooves they sit in. That may be enough to bring the braking up to where you want, but if not the next step is to fit calipers with a bigger piston area, and a master cyl to suit [the hydraulic ratio is very important, a solid lever feel is not the same as strong brakes!]
From the research I did, the Honda CBR600f4 came up as the winner, but parts of early Blades and SP1 and 2 are virtually the same.
Link to this thread may help http://www.haymouth.co.uk/phpBB3/viewto ... de#p123094

NOTE I am saying this even though I fitted wavy discs to mine as I had a slight judder problem on my discs after I fitted better calipers
AMcQ
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

I'd say the calipers have sticking pistons. They only have to 'drag' a bit and they really make the braking effort a lot higher for no real movement at the slave cylinder end ie. the calliper itself. Just think where the callipers positioned in terms of road cr*p and it it is easy to see how and why the corrosion sets in around the pistons.

Overhaul needed. :thumbup:
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Tried wavy front forks after my last off.

Not very effective, can't really recommend them.

Got a wavy disc on the rear, though, and it certainly gets more grip and feel for the rear brake, but I also fitted GG pads, which might also have made a difference.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.