strange power lag ?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
YETI

strange power lag ?

Post by YETI »

i have what i can only describe as turbo lag when i give the old girl a handful
noticed it first when i was out with monkeyboy the other day , but took it out yesterday and it was doing it again ?
i think it`s my clutch on the way out but what do you think ??
tony.mon

Re: strange power lag ?

Post by tony.mon »

With clutch slip you'll notice the revs rise, and then drop back to fully engaged as you let the throttle off again.

Doesn't sound like that from your description.

Possibly a bit of something blocking a jet?
Try stripping and cleaning the carbs.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

also dodgy plugs.... but usually acompanied with a misfire.
lagging throttle response could be a sticking carb slide or damaged diaphragm, a bad vacuum leak, wet air filter, dodgy or loose throttle position sensor, loose / wet connection on ignition control module (the big one under the tail - would affect advance)...

that should keep you busy for a bit!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
YETI

Post by YETI »

no tony you description is spot on !
looks like i need a new clutch :thumbdown: oh well!!
hang on theres a fella in kent wot can help :thumbup:
and im seein him in a couple of wks
RESULT !! errrr tony ?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It might be clutch plate wear, in which case a secondhand pack would probably do the trick.
But I'd recommend fitting stronger clutch springs, you can get them on EBlag for about £15.

However this is more likely to be due to running oil that doesn't suit- I found that mine slipped after changing to Halford's 10W40 own brand, never had this before but I'm now back to Mobil1 10W30 for the summer.

Oh, you'll probably need a new clutch side case gasket, if you can't get one in time I have a new one in stock, but your local dealer should be able to get one in 2 or 3 days tops. I'll show you how these can be fitted so that they come apart and are reusable, but if you haven't used this trick they always tear and need to be replaced.

And yes, I have spare clutch packs so if we find yours is worn we can replace it with a secondhand pack.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
YETI

Post by YETI »

HI TONY
recon it is clutch wear nothing to do with oil as i use the same now as i always have .
i have a couple of spare clutches all complete from the stage 2 one heavy duty item
that was only used once , looks to have a set of heavy duty springs too :thumbup:
i will get myself a gasket this wk end so will be well and truly weighed down when i turn
up with above and my cct`s
what else do i need to do this ?? ie : clutch ??
regards
YETI..
warby221

Post by warby221 »

before you pull the clutch out you have cleaned the operating rod for the clutch haven't you??
if you remove the sprocket cover you'll find a round ended rod that go's through the engine and operates the clutch
you can get a build up of crud and rust were it passes through the oil seal that stops it returning properly
just pull the rod out a bit and give it a clean with a bit of scotch bright
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC