A grown man cries....

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Kev L

Re: A grown man cries....

Post by Kev L »

As this bloke said -

"A man's gotta know his limitations" :wave:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

Step away from the spanners, Put the socket set down and call the mechanic.

Failing that. Run around, panic and sht yourself!
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
sonofpat1969

Post by sonofpat1969 »

Ok .... update on "operation foreign bodies"....
1. Brought magnet on a stick and thing which looks like you would try and win very small soft toys at the fair with.
2. Magnet fails to recover anything but does momentarily get stuck fast causing heart to stop.... fortunately taking deep breath and a bit of wiggling frees it.
3. In with the fair ground hook... out with the lost screw driver .... woop ... woop... woop.!!!
4. In again with fairground hook... which promptly falls apart ..... spring flies in the air.... oh sh#@ .... fortunately doesn't land in engine... phew...
5. Make hooked piece if wire out of pieces and retrieve cam chain... woop ...

No further luck with getting bits out so still missing blutack and bolt .... and no more time today....next its Sump off ...and fingers crossed.. also valve timing to set ... and fairing to mend... and some other bits ....then hopefully a working bike..... will keep you updated
sonofpat1969

Post by sonofpat1969 »

Managed to grab a bit more time this afternoon and thought I would try and set the valve timing before removing the sump....
Well got the cams lined up and tensioners tightened up .... went to spin it over by the alternator bolt and the engine turned over but the cams stayed still ... and cam chain went loose ..... s#%t
I am guessing (hoping) that the cam chain is not on its bottom cog... and am praying that's its not anything more sinister... guessing will need to take r/h engine case off... open to suggestions..?
Getting a bit demoralized... and beginning to wonder if I will ever have a working storm again....
Wondering if I need to start looking for a replacement motor.... (or bike).... or at least find a decent scanner man near Loughborough...??
Will update any progress.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yes you're probably right, not on the sprocket.

If you loop a piece of string through the top of the chain, before you put the cams in you should be able to try to pull the chain back and forth to see if it's engaged on the sprocket. Then keep tension on in while putting the cams in.

Don't forget to rest the crankshaft to the correct place before you start again.

Volunteers near Loughborough, anyone?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sonofpat1969

Post by sonofpat1969 »

Once again.... Thanks... it's going to be end of the week before I can try again (no light in tent/shed).... but I will let you know if I have any luck !!!
alec

Post by alec »

Volunteers near Loughborough, anyone?[/quote]

where's loughborough ?
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

ive dropped them off the cog before m8, just lower it down a bit and with a bit of fiddlein you can get it on easy without having to strip it further.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
sonofpat1969

Post by sonofpat1969 »

As above.... thanks .... I will keep updating
warby221

Post by warby221 »

alec wrote:Volunteers near Loughborough, anyone?
where's loughborough ?[/quote]

near notts i think
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

benny hedges wrote: "the Hoover Dustette [has] fan blades about 15 cm from the inlet. .[/b]

I'm safe then............now where can I buy one?
it may be clever, but its not big.
sonofpat1969

Post by sonofpat1969 »

Ok... for those interested here's the update on "Operation Storm Damaged..."

Friday... day off work, sun shining, forums invaluable advice ringing in my ears (or should that be eyes.?) Feeling a lot more relaxed about the whole thing, which makes a hell of a difference... so this is the list of jobs done:

1. Fairing off... araldite out.. cracks made good .. and left to harden.. good so far.

2. TDC compression stroke on rear cylinder... cam chain lowered and wiggled back on to cog... cam timing set... manual cct adjusted and everything threadlocked and tightened... bar the one missing bolt.... so onto the next job.

3. Oil drained, exhaust system loosened.... that took some wiggling and scraped knuckles... so time for a cuppa.... sump dropped and low and behold missing bolt shining in the bottom of the oil.... and a quick look into the engine finds me a very sticky lump of blutack... WOO HOO..
4. Surfaces cleaned, small smear of silicone and sump back on .... more puffing and swearing and exhaust back on... missing bolt carefully back in its rightful place... and cam cover back on ... topped up with oil and turned over by hand a few times... no nasty noises.... feeling kinda chuffed... time for another cup of tea before testing the compression...

5. Ok... fingers crossed....Front cylinder ...in with the gauge... spin the engine .....in the green....note made of the reading.... take out the tester.... leaving the adapter still in the plug hole.... sh!# ... ok think... ah silicone matting and big Allen key extracts the adapter... phew... ok here's the biggie..... rear cylinder... everything crossed, lucky rabbits foot in pocket... sudden interest in religion.... here we go... engine spinning... look at dial .... A BIG FAT ZERO.... doh... try again.... NIL ....try the front again... in the green.... Rear again... less pressure than last years birthday balloon... Oh That sinking feeling......

I guess the clunk... from the clank clank clunk I heard last week was the sound of valves hitting piston... an expensive mistake.... I have still got to get the head off to have a propper look, but thinking I will need to swap heads... at least while I try and get mine sorted.... a sh#tter, but at least with the advice from here and the last few days venture into the bowels of the storm... it doesn't seem like an impossible task... THANKS to all who have helped.... I will keep updating the progress...Patrick
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

At last, a bit of luck.
The rear head is the easy one to get to.

Exhaust off, carbs off (leave the cables and coolant connecting pipes alone, just move them out of the way) cams out, undo small bolts inside the camchain tunnel first, then all of the head bolts.
You might need a long series socket for this, suggest a 1/2 or 3/8 drive at least, they're too tight for a 1/4 drive socket, it will most likely shear the drive end off.

Head off, fit new head gasket (all other reusable), fit replacement head, rebuild and retime, then you'll need to set the valve clearances, and probably re-shim.
Check three times before turning engine over carefully by hand.

But if you set the crankshaft in the correct place before you start it shouldn't have moved.

The in with the compression gauge, hit starter, observe healthy compression.

Refit exhaust, and ride it.

Then hide all your tools, burn the manual, and never, ever go near it again except to ride it, put oil and fuel in, and perhaps pump up the tyres. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

tony.mon wrote:At last, a bit of luck
unless it's smashed a hole in the piston crown.... :silent:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
sonofpat1969

Post by sonofpat1969 »

Now.... that's a comforting thought... it will be lucky underpants on, and four leaf clover soup for breakfast when I take the head off.... didn't get time today.