Bandit 1200

General Bike chat
Snoogle

Bandit 1200

Post by Snoogle »

Anybody ridden one? Got the chance of parting my Storm in for one. Admittedly I've got to finish the Storm before I swap but just wondered what ppl thought of them before I took the plunge. It's got loads of goodies on it and is sprayed in a sexy Suzuki style theme. Pretty much mint actually...Anything I need to look out for in particular?
A head full of fears has no room for dreams
tony.mon

Re: Bandit 1200

Post by tony.mon »

Head bearings, fork seals, chain and sprockets, cush drive.

Fairly bulletproof apart from that, AFAIK.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

check insurance before you swap as you will get a shock and not in the good way
matinik46

Post by matinik46 »

Ive had two,and would proberbly have another one day,but the older models.they are great bikes but nothing like vtr`s.
the weight is their main problem,fantastic bulletproof motors but the suspension gets a bit overwhelmed at speed.
can all be sorted like any bike but the weight is still there.
what bits are on it? they do well with air filter/dynojet/exhaust +10/15hp.
try oldskoolsuzuki for info.
Richy

Post by Richy »

Had one new in '98. Kept it for a few years. Good bullet proof motor, crap suspension/steering etc if you want to make progress round twisty bits. Nice and comfy for taking it steady though.
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

Cheers for the comments guys...looks like its gonna be a no go now anyway. Misses aint happy with me looking at another bike so been ordered :Argue: to stick with the Storm lol

Ahh well, maybe next year..... :angel:
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

I think it might have something to do wit the fact we have a holiday and our sons first birthday coming up. Can't see the problem myself lol
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

When the time came I was sure my next bike was going to be a 1200 bandit. I had even test ridden one just to make sure.

But.......................................then I spotted the Storm in my local garage and took that out for a test ride when I was in a position to buy my next bike. The rest is history as they say :D That was way back in 2001 :thumbup: Still happy with the Storm.

Chris.
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

sirch345 wrote:When the time came I was sure my next bike was going to be a 1200 bandit. I had even test ridden one just to make sure.

But.......................................then I spotted the Storm in my local garage and took that out for a test ride when I was in a position to buy my next bike. The rest is history as they say :D That was way back in 2001 :thumbup: Still happy with the Storm.

Chris.
Pretty much the same here. Glad I went with the storm. Still own a B6 though. Never gets ridden but it is in the garage :)
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Timbo wrote:Worth dropping Stevie (BikerPiker) a PM, he got rid of Storm to get a 1200S Bandit which he has now sold to buy some hair straighteners :)
I'll no need the hairstraightners for your napper anyway big yin , cheeky fooker :lol:
Stevie
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Not that it matters now but the Bandit although more comfortable is no way near the fun a sorted Storm can be. I would stick to the Firestorm or go for the GSX1400 :biggrin, at least then there is a 1400cc reason for the weight :thumbup:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

gsx1400 is only an overgrown fuel injected bandit anyway,altho they are very good bikes and are now discontinued so expect to pay big money for one,suzuki blue n white ones especially...F.E models are the final edition ones and come with yosi can aswell as the standed can when new...some are prone to swingarm bearing wear and sticky front brake pistons(just replaced both on a mates 04 model with only 6500mls on the clock)so do check these when viewing one.

andi.
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

40k :eek2 Those engines are normally good for around 100k. That's some serious abuse :lol:
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

VTR1000 wrote:Used to ride a bandit 1200 (last of the carb models) Rode it through 2 winters and it died underneath me with 40k on it,
Well you must have been very unlucky that's all I can say, the 1200 Bandit engine is known to be one of the toughest engines out there, that's why so many stunt riders use them.

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

VTR1000 wrote:Used to ride a bandit 1200 (last of the carb models) Rode it through 2 winters and it died underneath me with 40k on it, It just gave up the will to live, corrosion, electrical gremlins and carb icing which was frightening, when it was time for new C & S x 2 tyres, valve job with unsortable electrics it was time to tade it in for my storm, but I have to say the best engine in any bike I have ever used, a real corker.
VTR1000, if I read this correctly you are saying that it was corrosion and electrical problems that killed your Bandit rather than the engine, if that is right, I can perhaps believ that.
Suzuki have great engines, but the finish is not at the level of a Honda , and I have seen reports of problems with the electrics so if you rode it in the salt through the winter.............and you didnt stay ontop fo the clean lube and protect cycle, they might decompose pretty fast.
AMcQ