my vtr is soooooo ill, can you help

General Bike chat
guytempleman

my vtr is soooooo ill, can you help

Post by guytempleman »

last year my vtr blew a cam chain tentioner "what a racket when it went" i had a new tentioner put in and put her away for winter now i have started to ride again when it is cold it is still has a rattle but when its warmed up it sounds okay but when riden it has a bit of vibration and dose,nt feel right, i love the bike and have had it for 4 years with no trouble, do you think when the tentioner went it has caused engine damage "hope not^ thanks, Guy :
tony.mon

Re: my vtr is soooooo ill, can you help

Post by tony.mon »

Quite possible that the cam timing hasn't been set correctly, so worth checking it carefully.
If that's ok, then it will need the head off to see if there's any valve damage.
You might want to get the compression checked first, though.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
guytempleman

Post by guytempleman »

thanks for that tony i will try to find a good mechanic in my area, north east, saltburn by sea
guytempleman

Post by guytempleman »

can anyone tell me how to check and set the cam timming, i,m no machanic but will have a go, went to whitby bikers night last night and she sounds terrible, will not ride again till its fixed. Guy
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Guy,
Tony's advice sounds good to me.

One little thing I will add is, not all mechanic's are familiar with setting the valve timing on a Firestorm as it's different to setting it on a IL4 cylinder engine. An IL4 in most cases has only one cam chain, whereas the Firestorm has two (one for each cylinder). If you (or whoever is checking the valve timing for you) follow the instructions in this link below for renewing the CCT's, that'll give you the correct procedure for setting the valve timing:-
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8326

Chris.
guytempleman

Post by guytempleman »

thanks sirch345,great info, but its hard to get hold of a good mechanic that will not rip you off
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Give them the instructions posted on here.
And insist on manuals, not the Honda standard ones, you already know how reliable they are!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
jonjonsocal

Post by jonjonsocal »

take your time and find a good mechanic if you can. I took mine in to a "good mechanic" and after an eye and an arm the bike still not running... I decided not to waste more $$ with crappy mechanics... mine had manual tentioners and it barely has 14k miles when it went.. At this point I really dont know what to do... So take your time and if you dont think you can do it your self, find some one you can trust.... Good luck..
Jon
02 VTR1000f Red
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

When the tensioner failed what was it replaced with. Honda auto or Manuals? Where any valves replaced at the time?

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

As Mr Templeman asked the question and last visited in May 2011 I think you may be waiting a while for his response!!! :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Doh :lol: :lol:

jonjonsocal

Post by jonjonsocal »

cybercarl :Ball Kick: Me

:Banned:
02 VTR1000f Red
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Oh OK, It's all your fault. :Shrug: You can take the credit. :lol:

I guess the same question goes to you as well then. Where any valves replaced or at least checked? :thumbup:

jonjonsocal

Post by jonjonsocal »

cybercarl wrote:Oh OK, It's all your fault. :Shrug: You can take the credit. :lol:

I guess the same question goes to you as well then. Where any valves replaced or at least checked? :thumbup:

Yep, mech replaced the valves.. but now it at least starts.. Im having a member buddy look at it soon I hope..

Thanks

Jon
02 VTR1000f Red