my bike is broken please help

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
hillyberry2009

my bike is broken please help

Post by hillyberry2009 »

hi guys i recently swapped my honda hornet for a vtr 1000 firestorm 98 s reg and only ridden it about 200miles since ive had it and loved every minute but last nite as turned a corner it made a weird noise from the engine like a load nocking noise so i pulled up turned it off and let it stand for few minutes then tried it again but now it wont tick over and the nockin noise is still there and sounds like a bag of sh1t :( does anyone no wat it cud be or has this happend to you? please help me thankz dan.
Wicky

Re: my bike is fukt please help

Post by Wicky »

Compulsory Catastrophic Cam Chain Tensioner (CCCCT)

I feel your pain - Don't start it up again as you will cause more damage (if it already hasn't bent valves)

Check the workshop section for step-by-step instructions on how to fix
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

ahh sh1t mate that sounds like bad news, and as Wicky said, re-starting it is also not a good idea if it is the CCT that failed.

sad that this was your 1st post on the site, but you have come to the right place to get help with the next steps of the repair.
AMcQ
hillyberry2009

Post by hillyberry2009 »

ouch sounds bad is this something easy and cheap to repair because im not realy any good with spanners! and thanks for your help :) dan
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

question - whereabouts do you live.... & where is the bike?
maybe an experienced member can take a look at it.
i dont mind if you're close to me.
what it sounds like is the front camchain tensioner has failed, the camchain then has no tension on it and is loose enough to bob round the camshaft drive sprockets, driven by the power of the other cylinder or momentum of the flywheel.

if you are really lucky, it could just be a case of get a new tensioner, or preferably a set of manually adjustable ones, fit it, and off you go...
but more than likely there will be a couple of bent valves which means the offending cylinder head will need a bit of work, head gasket, valves, guides etc, as well as the tensioner(s)

pretty damn bad luck this has happened so soon after getting it, as otherwise they are a pretty solid bike.
did you get it from a dealer or was it a private deal?
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
hillyberry2009

Post by hillyberry2009 »

ok thanks i think i understand wats gon on now. im in walsall in the westmidlands and the bike is kept in a garage. i actualy swapped the bike on a website called swapz and me and the other bloke just met up and exchanged bikes and paperwork. thanks dan
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

well its unlikely the previousl owner knew about this and hid it from you m8, as its one of those things that can just happen anytime without any prior warning.
there are steps you can take to prevent it happening again, but yopu still have a bit of work to do :thumbdown:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
andre5030

Post by andre5030 »

Sorry to hear that m8, good luck with the repair.
hillyberry2009

Post by hillyberry2009 »

thanks for your help guys :) dan
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

last august i rode mine to get the mot done ( about 1 mile through town centre) . popped in to reception to let them know i was there. i had mentioned to the boss man that last years mot guy had given me an advisorary regarding the fantastic row my twin quill exhast pipes make (,kin cheek) ,anyway he said he,d have a quick listen before he started the test so if needs be i could go and get the honda ones . turned key pressed the starter and ..... oh sh1t! sounded like a steel bucket full of nuts and bolts being shaken up and down. "turn it off quick" the friendly mechanic shouts. and there it was ,my cct had gone home just like that! i could,nt believe it, no warning, no previous noise, nothing! i suppose i was lucky it did it whilst stationery on the forecourt of just the guy to mend it for me rather than whilst tanking it up the dual carriageway.
somebody told me it rarely happens while your going quick? is there any truth in that?
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

oh dear, sad tale.
it wont go while the engine is under load. it's when you throttle back or stop the engine that the chain skips the cog and damage is done.
best get on with fixing it eh :D
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Sorry to hear this, mate.
Usually it's the front head, and if you're lucky it will have bent the two exhaust valves in that head, just two new valves, a head gasket, and whatever shims you need.
Unfortunately you just missed the workshop day in Solihull yesterday- we could have done it then....

ADMIN
Can we move this to the Workshop section?
Cheers

EDIT: :thumbup: Thanks for moving it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
guytempleman

Re: my bike is broken please help

Post by guytempleman »

sorry to hear about your storm but i.am going through the same bloody trauma at the moment, i was coming back from whitby bikers night and clatter bang the front cct went so i have been asking the stormers what to do, iam trying to find a good mechanic in the middlesborough area i have had the front cct replaced but it is still tapping away so i think its the valves, sh1t, and am skint, good luck mate, Guy
tony.mon

Re: my bike is broken please help

Post by tony.mon »

If it's the usual, it will be the front one that's gone, it will have bent the two exhaust valves on the front head and so it will cost you about £120- 130 all in, for two new valves and a head gasket, plus maybe a couple of shims.
Just take your time and follow instructions in here to re-time the cams, and you'll have it done in a day, 2 days tops.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.