Flywheel/alternator rotor clamp

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
tony.mon

Flywheel/alternator rotor clamp

Post by tony.mon »

SO I was looking to strip off the flywheel/ alternator rotor and wanted to undo the crankshaft centre bolt, but couldn't as it was torqued up pretty hard and trying to knock it round with a hammer only turned the crankshaft.

I had a look in the manual and saw that a strap wrench would be necessary to hold it in place, although Haynes also suggested putting it in gear and having a friend hold the back brake on- no joy there.

I therefore had a look around what I had, and came up with this, which worked well enough to share.....

A can hanger strap, complete with rubber insert, is not quite long enough but using an extended bolt it will clamp onto the outside diameter of the rotor.
You can then make up a tube to lock the clamp bolt against the centre engine mounting bolt- I used a length of square section tube, which worked fine.

It also works well to tighten the crankshaft bolt up again afterwards, applied in reverse, of course.

Pics to follow, so that you can see what I mean.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Re: Flywheel/alternator rotor clamp

Post by benny hedges »

i just used a spanner on the 2 flats of the flywheel centre, worked no probs.
didnt fancy gripping the outside as they are surprisingly thin skinned and i reckoned it would distort easy.... the side walls are just plate that holds magnetite magnets.... it's not magnetised steel.

did you try that extractor tool i made??? pisses the job!

i know what you mean about that centre bolt though... FT isnt the word!
i managed to get mine off by shocking it lightly with a torque bar til it came loose... took a good tem minutes of tapping tho.

never been a big fan of jamming the bike in gear and standing on the brake.... especially with all the strain on that big clutch bearing...
gearboxes aren't made to take that kind of force imo.
dont care what haynes say.
if you are doing jobs like this a lot then maybe you should invest in an impact gun, then you wont need to clamp the outside...
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.