Clutch gone

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
tony.mon

Re: Clutch gone

Post by tony.mon »

Clutch not gone now.
Clutch come back.

No mince pie, but sausage sandwich was an acceptable substitute :thumbup:
Now get it rebuilt and back on the road!

(ps- it was the slave cylinder).
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Good work Tony :thumbup:

What was wrong with the slave, seals I assume..........where was the fluid leak ending up so we will know where to look in future
AMcQ
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Sterling service from Tony - Went through everything thoroughly and tracked it down to a dodgy slave. Most odd as I had put new seals and spring on it (tried two that I had) - what gave it away was slow bubble leak from the nipple when bleeding. No obvious fluid leak but enough wear on slave cylinder bores to cause a big loss of overall hydraulic pressure. Thankfully Tony bought along a spare so once that was fitted all was sorted. Along with a new clutch basket and springs for good measure. Tomorrow should be all back together - yeah!

Tony - You forgot the decals, so if the address on the fairing box is correct I'll pop them in the post to ya. Many thanks again!
Last edited by Wicky on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

:Worship:

bet you sorry you took the cover off now lol!

maybe you had excess moisture in the fluid & it froze & broke the seal???
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

>>bet you sorry you took the cover off now lol!

Jut be glad I'm not a hospital doctor turfing folk for unnecessary operations and getting folk heart transplants for low blood pressure!

>>maybe you had excess moisture in the fluid & it froze & broke the seal???

Can't really say - it occurred during the thaw coming back after 30 miles and in the last 4-5 miles it gradually faded in line with a leak but without an apparent leaky leak involving puddles forming anywhere even in the tell tale slave compartment (may be in the summer it would have been more apparent with hydraulic fluid becoming less viscous). I was caught out by assuming two separate slaves with a new seal or relatively new seal were okay - Seems the slave cylinder bores are quite sensitive to wear/grit ingestation. As this part (22860-MT7-000) is shared with numerous Hondas contemporaries i.e Fireblades, Blackbirds and VFRs etc. it's not hard to get hold of 2nd hand units - just don't assume because it has new/ish seals it will still work like new long term.

If you PM me your address Benny then I can post your master cylinder back which was invaluable in helping narrowing down the problem - ta very much - If you're un/lucky you might get the bonus mince pie that Tony missed out on :-)
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Wicky wrote:Sterling service

Tony - You forgot the decals, so if the address on the fairing box is correct I'll pop them in the post to ya.
Well, you did cross my palm with silver!

Yes, realised I'd left those stickers behind halfway home.
Posted would be great, address was accurate enough to get the fairing over to me when it was delivered, so should work again!

It was quite a funny problem, but in case anyone else has the same issue, here's how we found it-
I attached a transparent bleed tube to the slave bleed nipple, then attached a syringe to the end.
Cracked open the bleed nipple.
When the syringe plunger was pulled you could see little bubbles coming out of the bleed nipple, and bubbling up the tube.
Seems to me that the air was leaking into the system via the slave seal making it impossible to bleed the system through.

It also emptied the reservoir overnight before I'd got there, so it was fairly obvious where the problem lay from the off.

And it wasn't a bad thing that the clutch cover was removed, as the basket showed a fair bit of movement on its shaft.
I fitted a better spare one I'd brought with me in case, as Wicky already had a new spare clutch centre nut ready to go.

Job jobbed.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good man Tony, well done :thumbup:

Chris.
chris1bev

Post by chris1bev »

Hi Guys

Can someone tell me were i can get a seal from for the Clutch pump cover from please unless i can reuse the old one which i doubt very much?

Cheers
Chris
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

about 13 quid from david silvers or a bit dearer from a honda dealer.... ie 18 notes.

just a tip... when you get it, lay it out on card and spray over it to make a template for next time.
ive got a spare one but tbh mine will be off shortly so i best keep hold of it.
you could get away using the old one if you remove it very carefully..... bit of silicon gasket - but dont go mad with it around the water pump for obvious reasons
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Use silicon on one side, and HMP grease on the other. The gasket will stick to the siliconed side, but release from the greased side.
Just regrease and reuse.

Useful if you're trying bits out, secondhand clutch plates for example; if they still slip you can easily open it up again to fit new standard or uprated aftermarket ones, and it doesn't cost you a new gasket every time.

Tight, aren't I? :wave: