Tyre losing air?

General Bike chat
sirch345
Site Admin

Tyre losing air?

Post by sirch345 »

Anyone had this problem before :?: I went to take my bike out for a ride this morning, only to find the front tyre had gone flat :(

It's only been about 3 wks since I last went out. Anyway to cut a long story short it appears to be losing air where the tyre bead is meant to be sealing it on the wheel rim. I only found this by chance, as, after blowing it back up (going out for a ride, then when I got back) I happened to notice a few bubbles appearing at the rim (between the rim and tyre). The bubbles will be from the Puncture Safe additive I use.

So any ideas as to what's gone wrong here :?: Is this a problem that can occur with alloy wheels :?:
My thoughts are that the tyre will need to come off to inspect the condition of the wheel rim, and the tyre bead.

Chris.
benny hedges

Re: Tyre losing air?

Post by benny hedges »

have they been sprayed or powder coated???
if there's any corrosion or rough edge you could do with popping the tyre off and giving it a go over with some scotchbrite or summat. you know how the paint goes flaky over time and it could be sealing against the paint on the rim but seeping past underneath.

on a mates cbr600 he had the same thing and we couldnt find it even bu dunking the tyre in a washing up bowl of water.
turned out the actual wheel was pinholed between the spokes... i'd say that's a pretty dangerous flaw myself as it's possibly a weakness in the casting.... not good!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks for your replies Mike and Benny.
Valve caps are the original type. I know what you are saying Mike about some after market ones, as I've had some like that myself :thumbdown: but a good thought none the less.

Wheels have not been powder coated Benny, and the tyre has been on there with no problems for around 18mths at least. The paint theory may be what's causing it I agree.

I'm going to try and get the front wheel out and off to the tyre fitters today.

Chris.
blacknek

Post by blacknek »

Hi,

I had the same problem with the rear tyre, took it off and it was a bit of corrosion on the inside of the rim, cleaned and put the tyre on...lol

ed
MJONESY

Post by MJONESY »

i had a set of tatty old alloys on the missus car a while back and that thing was a nightmare tyres would be fine for weeks then one would go flat then another we were constantly chasing the puncture round the car, turned out to be corrosion on the rim a good clean up as benny suggested should sort it
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Cheers guy's, turns out it was a bad seal between the tyre bead and wheel rim.

Chris.