Garage Door Handle/lock Advice - Does Anyone Have This New F

General Biker Banter
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

I need to order a new garage door lock, one of the typical up and over "Henderson" type doors.

Has a handle/lock like this:
http://www.onlinegaragedoorspares.com/_ ... s-2020.jpg

So was just going to order a replacement such as above (3rd party copies)
I am aware however, that the handle itself does give a very good leverage to anyone wanting to force the locked handle around and breaking the lock inside.

I noticed I could buy one of these newer designed versions:

http://www.ashleysonline.co.uk/Detail.aspx?ProdID=37

Which gets rid of the lever thus not giving the grip to force it around and snap the lock, however, it seems the key has to do the work of the handle that's supposed to be there.

My concern is, is the key very heavyweight? I'm worried the key itself may potentially break off in the lock!

Does anyone have one of these new types and gave offer an opinion?

Thanks.
MacV2

Re: Garage Door Handle/lock Advice - Does Anyone Have This N

Post by MacV2 »

My advice is....don't bother with a handle type lock & get yourself some Shoot Bolts instead. As per the discussion below.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 18&t=19783
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have those shoot bolts already installed. I fitted them last week, and I just ordered a new normal style garage door handle/lock to go along with them :)
gilson

Post by gilson »

My garage in my previous house were 'on block' and each year they'd get broken into. All they did was kick in the sides where the bar enters the frame to sufficiently bend it enough to simply lift up. The henderson doors are poor. I even had some shoot bolts each side which they just smashed off with a hammer.

I replaced mine to a garador up and over with additional security four point locking. It was a massive improvement. The main thin I think was that it wasn't a Henderson and therefore they weren't familiar with how to open it.

IIRC it was 500gbp and my mate fitted it quite easily. For piece of mind I thought this was reasonable.

The other problem of putting visible locks on the outside is that it is a sign that something valuable is inside.

I always wanted to fit those blank shotgun cartridge scarers. That would at least temporarily deafen the scum.

Good luck
No bike (yet).
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!