Rogered Forks - whats changed?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
nora2004

Rogered Forks - whats changed?

Post by nora2004 »

An odd one, I had my forks re-done by Roger last September, there marvellous!

However after coming off and bending one I had to rebuild them with new stanchions, simples!

But upon stripping them down my old man is convinced the only things thats been changed is the springs, oil and the rebound rod re-tapered, as he swears blind the bolt in the bottom of the forks that holds the valve assembly in place has never been touched in its life after he had to use the windy gun to get it off! However Im convinced its more than this?

So does anyone really know what gets done, I assumed the shim stacks were modified and even the valve modified slightly?

Either way Im happy with the results, but its always nice known whats been done, and more importantly, its even nicer proving my dad wrong! lol
Animal

Re: Rogered Forks - whats changed?

Post by Animal »

The stacks are altered and the valve size is increased, cant remember what else has altered when Roger did mine. He did mine whilst I waited, but it was a few years ago now. For a more detailed description of works carried out why not talk to Roger.
Incedentaly to change the springs you need to undo the bolt at the bottom of the fork leg.
Animal

Post by Animal »

Another thing. I would always use a windy gun to remove the aforementioned bolt, if you dont all the gubbins can spin round preventing the bolt from being unwound fully.
nora2004

Post by nora2004 »

Knew I was right! lol

What about this hole that some people drill into the bottom of the cartridge body, is this a worhtwhile mod to do whilst there apart?
Animal

Post by Animal »

Personally, if the gubbins going back in are the Rogered bits, then I would do just that and not change anything.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

nora2004 wrote:Knew I was right! lol

What about this hole that some people drill into the bottom of the cartridge body, is this a worhtwhile mod to do whilst there apart?
I would suspect that is a stop-gap measure for those not doing the re-valving job.
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
nora2004

Post by nora2004 »

mik_str wrote:
nora2004 wrote:Knew I was right! lol

I would suspect that is a stop-gap measure for those not doing the re-valving job.
Hmmm, reading about, this is something that Roger normally does, however mine dont have any extra holes drilled! lol
warby221

Post by warby221 »

Animal wrote: Incedentaly to change the springs you need to undo the bolt at the bottom of the fork leg.
you don't have to remove the cap head bolt from the btm of the forks to remove the spring or to get to the tapered valve
you just have to support the bike and unscrew the fork cap and it all comes out the top on a storm
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
Animal

Post by Animal »

warby221 wrote:
Animal wrote: Incedentaly to change the springs you need to undo the bolt at the bottom of the fork leg.
you don't have to remove the cap head bolt from the btm of the forks to remove the spring or to get to the tapered valve
you just have to support the bike and unscrew the fork cap and it all comes out the top on a storm
I should have said springs, oil and the rebound rod re-tapered you need to undo the bottom bolt.