hi bars

General Bike chat
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Job done

:o

Fitted the Renthals yesterday. The same kit that Tony fitted.

I realy don't know why I didn't do it ages ago.

Had my first ride today GREAT
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Fireman,
Well I was going to ask Tony but seeing as you've done the same bar convertion can you tell me, do you actually drill two holes for the new risers in the exsisting top plate of the yoke?
I'm pleased for you that the new riding position has meant you can keep the Storm,

Cheers Chris.
mercury

Post by mercury »

Warning just make double shure the new brake lines cant snag
on any thing under hard braking :roll:
By looping back like getting snag behind the oil cooler stoping you
turing the bike to the left :oops:
no didnt fall off :P
So thats why i bought a bike so i could see my money and licence go quicker
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

sirch345

Yes you do have to drill 4 holes in your top yolk.

I though if I want to put it back to standard I would just put a carbon yolk cover on, to make it look nice.
tony.wilde1

conversion

Post by tony.wilde1 »

all sorted now peeps!!done 1000miles with the conversrion with no probs..good point about brake hoses.got them nicely looped through guides so no interfeirence with frame/fprks/fairing etc..nice one! :D
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Fireman thanks for reply

cheers Chris.
Iwantafirestorm

Post by Iwantafirestorm »

Tony,
Bike looks great. I can imagine how good it is to ride now. I'd certainly want to do that when I get a 'Storm (as I'm really fussy about riding position (you have no idea!)). Now that you're sat more upright, does the screen still work as well or are you slightly more in the wind?

I ask this because I put bar risers on my GS500 (! - told you I was fussy). These were the ones that lift the bars up AND back. Then when I tried a fly screen the wind was simply lifted up to my helmet and buffeted it about badly (because I was lifted right up in the riding position) so I was better off without the screen (smooth air flow).
tony.wilde1

hi bar conv.

Post by tony.wilde1 »

yes mate its fine cos i just get back on the seat and get behind the double bubble screen!!!easy as mate!!and 84 quid for all the bits too!!cheap ay?cheers!! :D
Druid

Post by Druid »

I picked up a pair of VFR750 bars today. They're about 30mm taller than the VTR handlebars and just dropped straight on, though I did need to drill them for the switchgear locating pegs - three 5mm holes. Have only had a quick spin round the block, but they do feel much better. The l/h switchgear fouls the fairing slightly on full lock. I had to re-position the clutch hose by loosening the banjo bolt slightly. I already had some longer braided hoses fitted.

Cost? £30 for the bars :)
tony.wilde1

bars

Post by tony.wilde1 »

good job mate!!what a result!!and 30quid too.excellent..cheers

just s thought though mate..will 30mm be enough?i had genmars on mine and they were 19mm higher but i found that was no where near enough to make it comfy.
Iwantafirestorm

Post by Iwantafirestorm »

vtrsteve wrote:Looks like choice of bars has a big bearing on how much you need to chop the fairing. I had to cut mine right up to the mirror mounting holes to clear my mx renthals.

Picked up a bellypan today so stage two starts this week where we add some colour to the beast! A healthy dose of bright yellow should do the trick.
http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/gallery/724.jpg

Just noticed the pic of your VTR, VTR Steve. Your bike looks absolutely awsome! :o . The yellow rims, the yellow bellypan and those super-high bars make it look great to ride. I imagine as you are not leaning towards the front of the bike as much and are sitting upright, it must lift the front wheel without even trying :twisted:
vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

The riding position is pretty good, not right forward nor bolt upright..... and yes I do have to be a bit careful gassing it of the lights or the front seems to defy gravity very easily 8)

The only issue I have is the angle on the motorcross bars isn't ideal for my knackered wrists, the ends need to be swept back a bit more. But thats just a case of changing the bars as and when I can get a few to try out before shelling out some cash.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

There's a pair of Genmar risers on ebay at the moment, some new and some second hand ones cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW

Del
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Ordered the bits from Busters Monday. Got to wait for silver colored risers though. I'm looking forward to doing my usual Swindon to Derby trip without getting a seriously stiff neck for a week!
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Finally.....just finished and really pleased with the result:P

Tony, your pics were a life saver. Thanks.

The only thing I'd do different now is to make the LHS brake pipe +3 rather than +2.

I'd put up a photo but: haven't a clue how to do it; its same as Tony's anyway; its pissing down - and dark!

John
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.