electrics question?

General Bike chat
Spiderman32

electrics question?

Post by Spiderman32 »

evening

i've just taken the storm out to blow of the cob webs and found that the only electrics that are working is the head light and tail light
none of the following are working
indicators
main beam
brake lights

all lights are on the clocks oil neutral etc i have checked the fuses under the seat and all look ok none are blown starter works, any other fuses anywhere that could be the problem?

or has anybody else had the same problem?
benny hedges

Re: electrics question?

Post by benny hedges »

just give the switchgear a good blasting with some contact cleaner or even wd40 / gt85.
they've just oxidised a bit while stood.
use the little tube thing and blast it in the holes and the drain underneath.
tip - avoid taking the switchgear apart unless you really have to - you wont believe the amount of screws, springs, levers etc in there.
a surprisingly complex assembly for what it does.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Sounds like an earth fault on the clocks.
Identify the earth connection and try connecting a wire back to battery neg.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Spiderman32

Post by Spiderman32 »

thanks guy's

i'll try both tomorrow at work i'm hoping it's an easy fix cause i'm c**p at electrics i'll give all the connectors a good clean as well.

it just seemed weird that i have the head light working but nothing else!
:thumbup:
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

check your rear bulbs as well.
you may have been running on one bulb for ages and now the 2nd one has failed, coincidentally.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Spiderman32

Post by Spiderman32 »

thanks guys for the reply's now sorted worn through wire 3 and a half hours it took to find but all sorted :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Well done for finding it :clap: :clap:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

if all else fails switch the lights out, spray a bit of water on everything and looks for the sparks :eek2

not so good on 12V electrics, but it is done on HV supply line to your house.....My brother-in-law used to work for Scottish power, and if they couldnt find the faulty section of line that was tripping the system, they would wait till dark and have one engineer short out the trip, and the other drive up the road in the landrover looking for the part that was glowing red!..............not sure if this is what they train them to do now, but he was old school :lol:

my kind of engineering :D
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

AMCQ46 wrote:if all else fails switch the lights out, spray a bit of water on everything and looks for the sparks :eek2

my kind of engineering :D
Actually that works pretty well for HT lead and HT side of coil breakdowns- wait until it's dark, then run it and look around for sparks and tracks on the outside of the lines and components.

Don't spray water, though- no sparks, as it'll conduct through the water.