Not owned a bike for 9 years-advice!?

General Bike chat
Griff1977

Not owned a bike for 9 years-advice!?

Post by Griff1977 »

I've recently bought my VTR1000F as I've been wanting a new bike for a while. I first past my test in 1996 and rode a CG125 for 6 months. I then left it for another 2 years before I bought my first 'big bike' being a very sensible (in hindsight boring) Yamaha Diversion 600 - an uneventful sports tourer, more tourer than sports! I did some big rides, including Newquey, Cornwall to Glasgow via the whole of Wales!! But mostly I rode either local or Newquay to Lincoln (girlfriend). I did this for 2 years before selling. Fast forward 10 years or so and here I am with a VTR1000!!

I suppose my Q is whether anybody has done similar as I am aware of my lack of recent experience on such a powerful beast! Shall I get a lesson or 2 or just take it easy!? Any tips for riding a twin specifically? Or shall I just get on with it!?

I should mention that the bike is just sitting in the garage at mo as I've injured my back for another 6 weeks! (not a bike accident!). Ta. :plainsmile :confused
KriegerCCTs,HEL oil lines,+4 advancer,+1/-1 sprockets,6mm spacer,CBR1k Sidestand,'07 R1 R/R,HyperPro springs F&R,Pipe Werx SL Carbons,Oxford sports hot grips,Mori style belly
Immediate plans:Clean it!
benny hedges

Re: Not owned a bike for 9 years-advice!?

Post by benny hedges »

just get on it and ride it... but beware, they do go quick if you whip them! :twisted:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

Just take it easy. Its just like .....err.....riding a bike. Remember the throttle goes both ways!
Spiderman32

Post by Spiderman32 »

yes mate same boat for me in a way cause i passed me test at 17 went strainght onto an szr660 then to a blade then a zxr 750 wtih a zx9r motor then my streetfighter then the kids came along and after 6 years i'm back on two wheels with my new vtr.

best advice just get out there and ride to your limits stuff everyone else the speed will come all in good time im just getting use to the power out of bends etc :biggrin

if like me you keep getting the new rider youngsters trying to punch above there weight (nob on a srad 600) just wait for the next straight and open her up if the noise doesn't put them off the speed in which you disappere to the next bend will :thumbup:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Good advise that, just take your time and get lots of practice. It is worth trying some training or even a track day as you start to get into it, as it will accelerate the skills and get your confidence back to where it used to be.
AMcQ
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

Good advice guys thanks, keep it coming!
KriegerCCTs,HEL oil lines,+4 advancer,+1/-1 sprockets,6mm spacer,CBR1k Sidestand,'07 R1 R/R,HyperPro springs F&R,Pipe Werx SL Carbons,Oxford sports hot grips,Mori style belly
Immediate plans:Clean it!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Griff1977 wrote: (girlfriend). I did this for 2 years before selling. I am aware of my lack of recent experience on such a powerful beast! Shall I get a lesson or 2 or just take it easy!? Any tips for riding a twin specifically? Or shall I just get on with it!?
How much did you get for your girlfriend?
Not surprised she had to go, if she was such a powerful beast.

Re twins, it depends if her twin is male or female; I'd personally avoid asking for a threesome if it's a boy/girl twin pair but might if it's twin girls.

But if it's two powerful beasts again you might end up with more pain than gain.

Sorry if this advice isn't what you were looking for, but TBH we're more competent about bikes, not dating, really.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

I did my CBT, rode a DT125R for 2 years, moved to the USA, bought a Bandit 1200. Rode that for a year. Back to the UK, no bike for hmm, 12 years. Just passed my DAS and bought a VTR.

Bikes only go as fast as you want them to if you remember where the controls are and treat them gently and know what NOT to do :D I actually found the Bandit 1200 easier to ride than the DT125, strange as it may sound.

VTR is a different beast entirely, it will bite if you dont treat it with respect, I got that impression immediately. Time will tell for me, I only just rode mine for the first time tonight :)
fireman

Post by fireman »

Hi Mate

I have been off bikes for 11 years and two months ago I bought myself a VTR and just got on it and started driving it. My advice is take a while to get back into the swing of things but just get on it and ride it as that is the only way to learn. You have driven bikes already so it will be know bother to you. Hope the back heels soon for you and you get to enjoy the experience of been back on the road.
Seven Of Nine Firestorm

Post by Seven Of Nine Firestorm »

vtryorks wrote:I actually found the Bandit 1200 easier to ride than the DT125, strange as it may sound.
Certainly isn't strange going from a ickle 125 to a 1200 / 1k+ you will certainly see a safer ride more torque / bhp to overtake safely without a run up, the heavier weight to keep you to the ground more, + bigger better brakes etc etc the list goes on depending on bike of course. Since i've jumped into the 1k's from passing the DAS within 6 months i've never looked back, actually I do see the smaller light weight bikes to be more dangerous as they can be blown around more + not enough grunt to over take so the bigger more CC bikes the better as far as i'm concerned.