Firestorm common problems

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jester

Post by jester »

Hi..I'm picking up my 1999 Firestorm tomorrow. I do know its got new manual cam chain tensioners fitted but is there anything else i need to look for. I've read something about regulator/rectifier problems. Should i replace this as a matter of course and whats the best one to get..I don't know to much about this kind of thing though. Thanks
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Welcome mate

If you have manual CCTs I'm betting previous owner changed r/r to a finned one. Don't just replace for no reason, check it and see if it has cooling fins on first. If so, you're ok.
jester

Re: Firestorm common problems

Post by jester »

Thanks..will check it out.
Stormin Ben

Re: Firestorm common problems

Post by Stormin Ben »

Hi Jester,

Spotted this thread while looking for an old posting to do with replacing the rectum-fryer with a Yamaha unit
(found it here - http://vtr1000f.wickidnet.com/

I've just replaced mine with a Thundercat unit (£9 off ebay) but took the above instructions a few stages further by basically ripping apart the old rectifier to get to the socket connector
Then picking up a Yamaha plug and making an adapter

Long and the short -before you rush out and buy a new rectifier, unplug the old one and give the connectors a really good scrape/ clean
The one that failed on mine had one of the yellow wire connectors really gungy and I'm willing to bet a large number of rectifier failures are related to cruddy connectors rather than the unit itself

Cheers
Ben
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!