shifting controls

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tattoo

shifting controls

Post by tattoo »

after an unsucessful op on my right hand i can only use two fingers and my thumb...holding onto the throttle isn't a problem but letting go to pull the brake is...i've thort about somehow shifting the controls about but still have to have a clutch n brake lever...has anyone any ideas as to how i can adapt the brake system so i have no front brake lever but have front brakes....

thanks.
Ilson Lad

Re: shifting controls

Post by Ilson Lad »

How is your strength in the two fingers ?if you can safely use the brake lever with them ,what about a thumb throttle control as used on some quad bikes?
It'll all be OK in the end and if its not OK then its not the end
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

it's more like i'm bothered about letting go of the throttle to pull the lever with the only 2 fingers i can use,i have been out on the storm(maybe alittle early)and found myself useing the rear brake only which isn't ideal tbh....i keep looking at the linked system off the blackbird but i'm not sure if it can be reversed to operate the front brakes from the rear brake lever..
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

i had linked brakes on a vfr800 and they worked fine.......not sure about reversing them tho, good luck with whatever you do.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

There are a few companies that do thumb opperated rear brake levers. Why not fit on of them to your left bar but run the brake line to the front brake rather than the rear!
darkember

Post by darkember »

How about the thumb throttle adapter that will leave your 2 fingers for the brake.

http://www.handythrottle.com/photos.html

Should be adaptable to a bike
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Linked brakes only operate some of the pots in each caliper; typically with Honda ones (Blackbird etc) the rear brake operates one of two pots on the rear and one of three pots on the front.
The front brake operates two on the front and one on the rear.

Would lightening the throttle action by fitting spring assist at the linkage end mean a lighter throttle action?
Not sure if that would help, fro your description.

Thumb rear brake lever on the LH bar would be needing a fair bit of effort to operate all four pots at the front end, but maybe fitting single pot calipers might be possible.

Try googling some of the disabled trike converters to see what they've come up with for people with a lot more problems than you; some good ideas to be had there, why re-invent the wheel, eh?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

I saw a combined brake and clutch lever in one of the mags a while ago
While trying to find it I came across this

http://www.racedandrallied.com/kit-cars ... rake-lever
and
http://www.disabledmotorcyclerider.com/klever.html
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

thanks for the ideas lads,i'll have a couple of weeks to checkout the double lever and disabled converters sites as the other half has taken the keys off me after bursting my stitches when a dumb fluffing car driver cut me up on the a1 lastnight and i instictivley grabbed a handful..well 2 fingers full of front brake lever

once again..thanks for the ideas

andi.