Starting problem - Part 2

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
tinysmall

Re: Starting problem - Part 2

Post by tinysmall »

I've got a good PDF with regards to electrical fault finding but have no idea where I can host it from or where I originally downloaded it from :(
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
Leachy

Post by Leachy »

P.D.F's are easily stored/hosted on MSN messager's SKYDRIVE system or Facebook or attach it to e-mail, some on-line photo stores allow small files (such as zip's and pdf's) to be stored :thumbup:
Absolutely Sodding Bloody typical!!!
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

Ok, for anyone who wants a pdf on electrical fault finding, pm me your email addy and I'll get it sent out soonest :) Also got a 74 page pdf of everything to do with wiring, aimed at building your own loom if anyone is interested. Again, can't remember where I downloaded it from, but it's not my work so I don't want to publicly host it incase there are any issues with copyright and stuff, though I downloaded them from the net so probably not much of an issue.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

Tinysmall,

PM sent
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Leachy wrote:Chris, I've had a MOTTOBATT on for 8 month now and it cured my winter start problem,as you've proberbly read i now have a starter gear problem and it didn't seem as laboured (until starter gear failed) when it was firing up, first time, i didn't even hear the engine turn before it started, 4 terminals are great, now i can isolate alarm, H.I.D and heated grips without interfering with the bike normal running load, one question i've been pondering on, is the higher rate to blame for starter gear failure??..... proberbly not,but it might just be possible.

I did manage to fry one though :redface TBH is was a 20 mile, 25mph protest run (Storm's do NOT like running slowly :lol: ) in future slow runs would be best run with all the lights on!! but after a quick exchange under the batteries warranty all is fine again :thumbup: so in conclusion i'd recommend them, anything that can start a frozen Storm at -5 is cool in my book.

MOTTOBATT part number for VTR equivilent is MBTX12U.
Thanks Dave for getting back to me on these batteries. They certainly sound really good.

I can't see the higher amp battery being to blame for the starter gear failure personally. The worst thing for the starter gear (sprag clutch) is if the engine kicks back when starting it, that can damage it. More chance of that happening when starting the engine when it's hot.

I'm not sure why you had a battery fry either, the bike getting hot shouldn't have made any difference to it. More like the rectifier/voltage regular was on it's way out I'd say and it was over charging,

Chris.
Leachy

Post by Leachy »

TBH Chris was just a thought about higher amp's causing starter gear failure :lol: IT IS wear and tear...new 1 on order from US because it's £30-£60 cheaper :lol:

On the battery front, I did change the r/r on the same day as fitting the replacment battery so all good :clap:
Absolutely Sodding Bloody typical!!!