would you buy a 2nd hand Helmet?

General Biker Banter

Re: would you buy a 2nd hand Helmet?

Post by Image »

New will always be better than used, period! I simply couldn't afford a new decent helmet though and that was that so I got this one (link below) off ebay. I can tell by the inside that it's hardly been worn. As for a helmet falling on a carpet, well that's every helmet I've ever had that was duff then as I'm always dropping them off the sofa :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260936100125? ... 1439.l2649

This is the first lid I've had that isn't an Arai so I'll see if I get on with it.
aces-high

Post by aces-high »

Which is why when I buy a second hand bike I strip them down and check replace parts as needed. Within my mechanical comfort zone I feel happy and safe to do this.
I would not feel safe with lids as I don't have the skills/equipment needed to assess it's safety level. After my last crash I had my lid sent back to Italy to be checked over even though I didn't believe I had banged my head ( low side at mallory ) just to be on the safe side.
I take risks that I can have some influence over when I ride a bike / drive a car to minimise them. Second hand lid - unknown risk.

Post by Image »

What did they say in Italy? What damage had incurred?
aces-high

Post by aces-high »

Luckily no damage had occurred as it was a bloody dear Dainese one and I couldn't have afforded a new one again. :D
I've had Agv's in the past and been well pleased with them, The only lid I never rated for it's build was a Shoei flip up one that I got when I was being an old (before my time) git on a BMW. The lids paint was wafer thin and came off at the slightest touch and the liner went from being a snug tight fit to slopping around my head in about 5000 miles use.
I can totally understand why sometimes it's necessary to take the cheaper option and generally most people are honest but as with anything it's the minority that spoil it for the rest and that's the reason I wouldn't buy one but as you say if that's your only choice.. and yes it does look a good one.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Can anyone explain to me in engineering terms how a liner can be damaged by dropping a helmet?

Because it seems to me that it's protected by the outer shell, so can't suffer impact damage, and as far as I can work out it can only be compressed by the force of a head inside it trying to continue moving when the outer shell stops, i.e. against a solid object.
After all, that's the purpose and function in safety terms of this component, apart form its insulating (sound and cold) properties.

Obviously a dent or scratch can weaken an outer shell. But even then, if the shell is weakened to the point of failure by a small mark, it would fail in an accident, too, because it would get a small mark or dent the first time it hit the road/car/lamppost, then would fail at the second one- and this doesn't seem to happen.

Now I wouldn't buy a secondhand one, buts that's mostly because I'm lucky enough to be able to afford a new one when I feel like it, not because I wouldn't wear a secondhand one.

And who hasn't offered a fit female a lift, offering them a secondhand helmet to wear?
Or a mate who doesn't ride, just to impress them?
Are they less valuable than you?

Not after a fight, here, but I'm interested to hear the arguments.

Last observation, just for openers, is that the people who tell you it's essential to replace a helmet if it's been dropped or involved in an accident are the same people trying to take your money in exchange for a new one.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
aces-high

Post by aces-high »

I'm not after a fight with anyone either :Argue: I think it's all down to the extent of any force applied to the lid, dropped from a foot onto carpet it's gonna be ok .
Dropped from 8 foot up onto concrete it's likely to take some damage.
Although the shell is hard it will distort when enough force is applied and compress the liner on the inside next to the shell unseen and thats the problem you can't really tell how much of its shock absorbing capability has been used up.
lots of people hang the lid on the mirrors (guilty) but that's frowned upon as it can damage the liner with just the lids own weight.
Of course manufacturers and sellers are going to push the scare side of it to sell more lids, I read in a mag the other day that your supposed to replace the brake caliper mounting bolts every time you take them off as torquing them up distorts the thread and a reused bolt is more likely to work loose! How many people do that?
Personal choice will determine if your comfortable with using a lid you've dropped yourself, If my lid got knocked off a chair onto the floor then yes I'd carry on using it but if I dropped it down the stairs?
As to lids failing after the first hit in an accident again it would depend on the force of the second impact, most of the liners protective capability would have been used up in the first significant hit. would also depend on if the impact was in the same point on the lid.
The shell is there to spread an impact over the lids surface and the liners job is to slow down your head movement to try and not rip the blood vessels and nerves attached to the brain and thus prevent brain damage. Hopefully :D
gafr

Post by gafr »

come on lads, whats the argument... if you have a good enough crunch no helmet is going to save you, new or second hand. lids are only good for little taps or slides , other than that... well.................
chris vtr virgin

Post by chris vtr virgin »

Well folks i got a second hand crash helmet on thursday, all looks good its an AGV K3 fits nice not smelly inside, and no obvious damage.
Paid £20 notes came with clear and dark visor.
Bargin
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Some twins have all the fun !!!!
aces-high

Post by aces-high »

gafr wrote:come on lads, whats the argument...
Honestly no argument just answering the thread title. I hope nobody takes offence with anything I say, I'm here to make friends not annoy anyone :D
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I have used a Roof R010 for years. I t needs changing, and I will get a Shark Openline. I agree with Tony, hit a tree etc and it doesn't matter one iota what helmet/leathers/gloves you are wearing, you are dead.

Dropping a helmet cannot damage it - if they were that fragile then they would be useless in a serious crash. They are not made from eggshells.

Buying a £600 helmet does not make you a) a MotoGP rider and b) invincible
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

vtrnewb90

Post by vtrnewb90 »

Oops iv dropped previous helmets on concrete a lot mainly by putting helmet on seat starting my bike then bash, I think (opinion) helmets are more sturdy. My old helmet was a cheap nitro helmet dropped it a lot even fell of my bike with it on head hitting curb after being dropped atleast a few times and was fine, my headed didn't get smushed. If I were to buy a new helmet every time I dropped it I would need shares in a crash helmet shop. Although my new helmet is a matte black nitro helmet just as light as my friends agv helmet I'm happy with it may buy a better one but then again I would end up spending the money on the bike. To the original question would I buy a used helmet if it were used less than a handful of times yes, I have certainly borrowed my friends lids for lifts vice a versa.