Refreshment

General Biker Banter
Stratman

Re: Refreshment

Post by Stratman »

Abbot Ale, Greene King's finest. Just don't try more than three. Stronger than its 5% would indicate.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

At the moment Youngs London Porter, lots of dark malt flavours, or of course Winter Warmer. Used to like Nethergate's Umble Ale is that still about?

For the heavier side of falling over water I am part way through a bottle of The Singleton, it has a slight custardy taste at first, but pretty smooth, I have an Old Pulteney and a Jura lined up! (Asda were doing an offer and I just couldnt resist)
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Stratman wrote:Abbot Ale, Greene King's finest. Just don't try more than three. Stronger than its 5% would indicate.
I used to love Abbot but they changed it many years ago, it seemed to lose it's floral quality that made it special, has it got it back?

Just thought you may not be old enough to remember what it was like in the first place :beer:
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Refreshment..yea i suppose it could be called that,last night i went to The Liverpool beer festival ,run by "Camra" in the crypt of the metropolitan cathedral....fantastic venue. The 71 different breweries and micro breweries had over 220 different cask ales on the go. my favourite ? ....no idea.....but it's nice to sample the different flavours of beers we have throughout this country. so for all you budding connoisseurs of real ales who haven't been to one, I recommend a visit to a festival near you.
you WILL get pissed you WON'T be disappointed. Cheers ChrisC

PS...never even got as far as the 30 cider breweries :beer:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Glad you enjoyed it ChrisC, I've been a member of CAMRA for a few years :beer:

Here's my fave beer festival at Chappel in Essex held at a local railway museum http://chappelbeerfestival.org.uk/
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Yea Wicky, had a great time, good live music in another part of the vaults too .I like the idea of your area beer festival being held in a rail museum.....have a few pints and literally blow off some steam :thumbup:
Sandyback

Post by Sandyback »

This has got to be my favourite, awesome pint :beer:

http://www.oakhamales.com/beers/inferno.html
futterbingers

Post by futterbingers »

I'm currently enjoying a leffe and it's malty goodness.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

I had an Oakhams last night ... a Bishops farewell...it's up there with the best of them :thumbup:
gumbie man

Post by gumbie man »

Favorites are Hobgoblin, Theakston old peculiar and at the moment i am drinking batemans victory ale but really enjoy neat southern comfort.
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

Youngs Double Chocolate (great xmas beer), Gillespies Scottish Stout ( Not had it for years so don`t know if it`s still around), Fullers London Pride, Dorothy Goodbodys Wholesome Stout, Timothy Taylors Landlord Ale, Guiness, Stowford Press, Magners.............I could go on but there are SO many good ones out there :beer:
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Seeing as so many of us seem to be devotees of real ale, how about a non ride out to the Great British Beer Festival http://gbbf.org.uk/home Or if not try this to keep up to date with local ones http://www.camra.org.uk/page.php?id=4

Been a CAMRA life member for 20+years, Hic! :beer:
firestorm1997

Post by firestorm1997 »

futterbingers wrote:I'm currently enjoying a leffe and it's malty goodness.
the sweet taste of Leffe Triple.......goes down well on an empty belly. :beer:

I love a good real ale, pub we use is a Fullers and does the usual Pride on tap but has a guest beer in now and again. One of my all time favs in Marlow Brewary "Rebellion" nice and smooth, you lose track of how many you've had.
futterbingers

Post by futterbingers »

I've not seen it in the Uk but we used to get Leffe brown, red and a really powerful 9º which was kind of strong! There was a local bar that did a leffe-style brew which was 14º ! Knocked your socks off!
firestorm1997

Post by firestorm1997 »

Leffe Brown is sold over here, Blue (the 9%) I have only seen in France / Belgium as with the Red but can't remember the % of that. Leffe Triple sold in Belgium was 8%..Spend quite a bit of time in Belgium and do enjoy the odd pint of the local ales and also collect some of the glasses.. :beer: