An idiots guide to the Firestorm

General Bike chat
StormingHonda

An idiots guide to the Firestorm

Post by StormingHonda »

I have briefly owned a Firestorm before but didnt keep it long enough to really get stuck in, my main concern with it was the CCTs so PLEASe could someone answer the questions as simple as possible for me.

1. What warning ( if any ) do you get before the CCTs go.
2. What is the simplist and/or cheapest preventative of the CCTs going.
3. If I were to get a shop to fit modded CCTS, would I need to tell them anything.
4. Were would I get modded CCTS and how much.

Apart from the usual regulator problem what else do I need to look out for on the Firestorm?.

TIA.
Stratman

Re: An idiots guide to the Firestorm

Post by Stratman »

There is so much on all these topics on the forum. Just try searching.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Stratman wrote:There is so much on all these topics on the forum. Just try searching.
I know I have looked through them, and to be honest the more I look the more I get confused lol, Im not bad with a spanner though.

I have contacted bazzman.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

To aid in your quest for knowledge on CCTs (or anything else firestorm related) use google' s site search, as the site's internal search can't handle small 3 letter keywords.

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&newwindo ... 69&bih=700

Bookmark it and use it by changing the initial keywords to what you're after.

but basically...

1. Usually none
2. MCCTs
3. "Don't use the Haynes manual!"
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Thanks wicky.

With the manual CCTs if I bought some and got the shop to fit them, what would I need to do with them, turn then once per mileage, yearly?.

Sorry to blast you with questions.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Best fitted using the method described in detail in the sticky thread within the workshop knowledgebase, then once correctly fitted with the right tension they shouldn't need looking at for a couple of years. Small adjustments, if needed, can be made without major dismantling.

Relatively easy job if you have the correct tools, and prepare for the job by having all parts to hand and study the How-to-Thread, and take your your time i.e set aside an undisturbed day and have plenty of lubricating fluids and choccie biccies to hand. Also a an opportunity while delving deeply into the bike to fit a front cylinder vacuum adaptor for easy carb balancing (again the procedure is laid out in the workshop knowledgebase sub section).

Depending where you are located we have Workshop days where experienced hands can help you through the job. Next one is in Colchester in a month or so.
StormingHonda wrote:Thanks wicky.

With the manual CCTs if I bought some and got the shop to fit them, what would I need to do with them, turn then once per mileage, yearly?.

Sorry to blast you with questions.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Thank you, the workshop day sounds pretty good to me I only live in Purfleet.

I'm not bad at mechanic, I used to strip and rebuild desiel engines and was compairing the tensioners to them. I do a lot of work on my Harley but the engine probably has more in common with a steam engine than a state of the art racing V twin.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

I had zero mechanical experience when I went to do the cct's on my storm 5 years ago, but with the help of the excellent workshop guide on this forum and also all the friendly folk on it, I found it fairly simple and also hugely rewarding at the same time.

It then gave me the confidence to tackle all sorts of other mechanical jobs on my storm.... So much do that I never had to take it to a mechanic again!

If you have experience with diesels and harleys you will be fine mate.

Just bite the bullet and do it!

Cheers

John
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

JohnD wrote:
Just bite the bullet and do it!
No, the Bullet is a pushrod single, so no CCT at all.
Last edited by tony.mon on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I changed mine befor Chris had done his excellent piece and I used the Haynes manual. The information in there is not wrong, it just could be clearer as on the fron pot the lobes point away and on the rear it's the other way round.

Sorry to be grumpy earlier - these are great bikes and with the manual CCT you get piece of mind (and they go better IMHO). They hardly if ever need adjustment either - I just checked mine when I did the valve clearances (which were fine too) and there was no adjustment needed after several thousand miles.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Stratman wrote:I changed mine befor Chris had done his excellent piece and I used the Haynes manual. The information in there is not wrong, it just could be clearer as on the fron pot the lobes point away and on the rear it's the other way round.

Sorry to be grumpy earlier - these are great bikes and with the manual CCT you get piece of mind (and they go better IMHO). They hardly if ever need adjustment either - I just checked mine when I did the valve clearances (which were fine too) and there was no adjustment needed after several thousand miles.
No problem, people must get sick of the CCT questions when you can do a search I was just after a simple explination.

I've won a pair of CCts on Ebay, these will be finding their way to Bazzerman when I get them.

To be honest the CCTs were one thing that always stuck in the back of my mind when I had the last one, and kind of ruined the ownership a bit, which is a shame as my last Firestorm was brilliant. So if I get a permenant solution done then I can get on with enjoying the bike.