Motorcycle Alarm!

General Bike chat
thehazmatguy

Motorcycle Alarm!

Post by thehazmatguy »

I am cutting/pasting from the other forum I posted this on:

I am a little tired, and a little pissed, and a lot happy!

Someone tried to steal my bike this morning!

I woke up this morning at about 4:15 for what seemed to be no reason. I got up and got a drink of water. As I got back in bed, I checked on my bike like I always do. I can do this because I can see my bike from my bedroom window. It looked fine.

Just as I got comfortable, my alarm on the motorcycle goes off. I didn't think much of it, so I just kinda sat up to check it out. Then I see this guy next to my bike. Again, I don't think much of it. Then he starts walking really fast. I go to the window and part the blinds.. as he practically runs into a small U-haul and speeds away! wombles!

My alarm just paid for itself, 10X over!

More details when I have time, I am off to work!
You know the Austin Powers movies? I have always wanted to date someone like Allota Fagina... but I always seem to date her sister Sandy.
--------------------------------------
thehazmatguy

Post by thehazmatguy »

The details…

“Something” woke me up this morning at about 4:15, so I got up and got a drink of water. It looks like that “something” was this guys loud-ass U-haul truck. Because there are puddles in the parking lot, it appears that he pulled in and had to turn his truck around because there were tracks from the puddles. The truck was loud enough that he woke me up in my apartment, and he also woke up a friend in her apartment next door.

After I got my drink of water I looked right at my bike and it looked fine. I then got back into bed and started getting comfortable…

Then my alarm went off.

I didn’t have the perimeter alarm on, so this was the “real deal.”

I don’t react too much when my alarm goes off. Don’t get me wrong, it never has had a false alarm. It seems that people, probably with no agenda, set off the alarm. Last week two little kids set it off by sitting on it. I don’t use the perimeter alarm often, because if I leave the perimeter alarm on neighbors and “admirers” set it off.
Because of this, even when the alarm went off I didn’t think much of it. And, when I saw someone next to my bike I didn’t think much of it. I figured it was just some dude walking through the apartment complex checking out my bike.
Then I saw that he was walking fast towards a U-haul truck. I did the math and figured out what was really going on. By then it was too late- I couldn’t do much besides watch him drive away.
I got on the computer, looked up the number (I live in Tempe, Arizona) and called Tempe PD… and they were right on it. I have to admit I was sort of surprised. When I lived in Mesa (also in Arizona) I don’t think I got this kind of response. And, unfortunately, I had plenty of theft issues in Mesa to know about this stuff. Within 2-3 minutes I spotted two officers walking around my apartment complex. I came out and talked to them and told them the details.
If I had to guess, I think he tried rolling the bike and the disk lock jarred the bike and set the alarm off. With the remote/pager for my alarm I can tell what sensor triggered the alarm. The tilt sensor didn’t set off the alarm, the shock sensor is what set it off.

Some things the thief should have learned:
1- check things out first. I guess most motorcycles don’t have alarms, so he probably wasn’t expecting that.
2- Get a quiet truck! It is pretty hard to be in stealth mode with what equates to open headers!
3- Wear a bullet proof vest, because next time I am coming out shooting.

Stuff that I learned:
1- Motorcycle alarms are worth the hassle.
2- Disk locks work. There is no way that guy, by himself, could have picked up and loaded that bike by himself. With the steering locked, and the REAR wheel locked.. that would have been a real chore.
3- Use the REAR wheel to lock your bike with a disk lock. I might have had to buy a new front fender if he tried to roll it with lock on the front wheel.
4- Start using my cable lock on the front wheel again.
5- Keep the shotgun loaded.
6- Buy a 9mm Glock or similar. After three motorcycle thefts, a car theft and two car break-ins, it would be worth getting arrested just to get a couple of rounds off at someone. (Flame on!)
You know the Austin Powers movies? I have always wanted to date someone like Allota Fagina... but I always seem to date her sister Sandy.
Galaxieman

Post by Galaxieman »

One comment about the guns... just make it a not-so "warning" shot. I had a bike stolen out of my garage here in OH, and the 'hawk is chained to the floor now. What kind of bike alarm do you have? The tip/shock/proximity sensors sound like a good combination, especially since you can turn proximity off. Don't think he'll be coming back soon though...
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

See........that's the difference with USA - UK, over here. We're only allowed to watch the B*****D run off with the bike, not allowed to actually try to stop them here..... :(

Glad to hear all is ok.............. (i've had first hand experience of bike theft.....not a nice experience)
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

I will admit to being anti-gun but shooting the theiving scum sounds ok to me. Glad to hear he got nothing
Rich.

thehazmatguy

Post by thehazmatguy »

Galaxieman wrote:One comment about the guns... just make it a not-so "warning" shot. I had a bike stolen out of my garage here in OH, and the 'hawk is chained to the floor now. What kind of bike alarm do you have? The tip/shock/proximity sensors sound like a good combination, especially since you can turn proximity off. Don't think he'll be coming back soon though...
http://www.scorpioalarms.com/sr-i500.aspx

I have been really happy with this one. The build quality is amazing, and they have wire adaptors so you don't have to cut the VTR1000 wiring harness. Installation was REALLY fast and and easy. The only thing that takes any effort is the ignition kill.

I had another one made by Clarion that burned out.. it didn't last long. It also took the main fuse for the bike with it, and stranded me inbetween Phoenix and Tucson.

And.. i doubt I would actually shot at somebody over a motorcycle... but would be really, really tempting.
Galaxieman

Post by Galaxieman »

Thanks! That company looks like they've got an entry level option for the wife's not so expensive ride too.

-Jim
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Glad to hear your alarm worked.

Must be nice to live in a country where the politicians haven't got their heads so far up their arses that they've made protecting your property crime!
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.