fork springs (again)

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
popkat

Re: fork springs (again)

Post by popkat »

I don't think you need a revalve to get the forks good enough, Linear springs will cost you around £90-100, spacers probably nothing as you could make your own..Stick with your 10wt and 140mm air gap as a starter, that way you can just carefully remove the old springs losing as little oil as possible and pop the new springs in, you could do all this with the forks still on the bike, you'll need to support the front off the ground though. Also remember to wind your rebound in all the way before taking the fork top off (reset it after) and try not to let the damper tube drop down. An extra pair of hands would be very useful.

I'm running a 3mm spacer under the top rear shock mount, didn't want to go any more as then the top mount sits below the lip, steers quick enough with the forks 5mm through..

My forks as far as i know are standard inside, i've just tweeked the adjusters, the F-2 forks are better std than the earlier model, i'm not able to get the ideal static sag without changes but the bike rides ok, only had it a week so as the weather gets better i may go in and change a few things. for now i've just set the ride heights and std adjusters, As said previously most of what i'm saying regards my last firestorm a 2000 model.

Next on my list is to sort the rear shock, it's damping isn't too bad but it feels hard over bumps, i've put a cable tie round it to measure travel as it's hard to tell if the springs too hard or it's bottoming out, will be heading for some bumpy ish roads and try different preloads, if it's still naff after that then i think a call to nitron may be in order..
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
popkat

Post by popkat »

Re WP springs, i have a set here (progressive) they were fitted to my old firestorm for one ride then removed and replaced with linear ones. They have a bit of light surface rust where they've been sitting in the garage but they should clean up ok which i'll be doing.. If anyone wants them make me an offer, i have no idea what they're worth. from memory they didn't make a massive difference but they were better than standard.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
budd

Post by budd »

popkat wrote:I don't think you need a revalve to get the forks good enough, Linear springs will cost you around £90-100, spacers probably nothing as you could make your own..Stick with your 10wt and 140mm air gap as a starter, that way you can just carefully remove the old springs losing as little oil as possible and pop the new springs in, you could do all this with the forks still on the bike, you'll need to support the front off the ground though. Also remember to wind your rebound in all the way before taking the fork top off (reset it after) and try not to let the damper tube drop down. An extra pair of hands would be very useful.

I'm running a 3mm spacer under the top rear shock mount, didn't want to go any more as then the top mount sits below the lip, steers quick enough with the forks 5mm through..

My forks as far as i know are standard inside, i've just tweeked the adjusters, the F-2 forks are better std than the earlier model, i'm not able to get the ideal static sag without changes but the bike rides ok, only had it a week so as the weather gets better i may go in and change a few things. for now i've just set the ride heights and std adjusters, As said previously most of what i'm saying regards my last firestorm a 2000 model.

Next on my list is to sort the rear shock, it's damping isn't too bad but it feels hard over bumps, i've put a cable tie round it to measure travel as it's hard to tell if the springs too hard or it's bottoming out, will be heading for some bumpy ish roads and try different preloads, if it's still naff after that then i think a call to nitron may be in order..
I think I'm going have a go at setting up what I currently have, £10 for some 10wt oil and a couple of hours work and it should be job done, if I'm still not happy I can change the springs weather is supposed to be crap again next week so I'll whip the forks out then.
BTW I can highly recommend Nitron dampers, I have a set on my TVR , Guy Evans (the main man at Nitron)is a very knowledgable fella and very helpful, they rebuilt may dampers to change the low speed damping free of charge :thumbup:
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I need to correct my suggested 130 mm airgap, this is for linear springs. For long progressive springs, I cannot say how it will work.
budd

Post by budd »

Stephan wrote:I need to correct my suggested 130 mm airgap, this is for linear springs. For long progressive springs, I cannot say how it will
work.
there's always going to be variables, and I don't know how the longer spring and lack of spacer would effect the required oil level but yacuga suggest a air gap for these springs of 160mm with 7.5wt oil on std fork internals, but as I've tapered the rebound damper rod I'm not sure how yacugas advised settings need to be tweeked to suit my forks, over the next week or so I'll have play with the oil wt and air gaps see if I can come up with somethings I can live with, if not it will be a set of linear springs and a fresh start.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Stormer Dave

Post by Stormer Dave »

Just got mine Roger'd from the Roger Dritfield school of motoring will have them on tomorrow and let you know the outcome.............

Things can only get better...
:clap: complex personalities lead you to v-twin happiness......if you can get to turn in.......that is.....
budd

Post by budd »

Stormer Dave wrote:Just got mine Roger'd from the Roger Dritfield school of motoring will have them on tomorrow and let you know the outcome.............

Things can only get better...
it would be interesting to hear opinoin of your new set up, I'm to tight to pay someone to do what I should be able to do my self, that said it would certainly be easier to hand the job over to someone who knows what they are doing, but if I did that how would I learn :evil:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Follow these links ( they are a sticky in the knowledge base section) this covers what roger does. Only thing you need is to work out what linear springs he would recommend for you weight and riding
http://www.haymouth.co.uk/phpBB3/viewto ... 31&t=21337
AMcQ
Sean

Post by Sean »

A few years ago I was watching some NASCAR racing on the TV 'cos there was naff all else on. The commentators were discussing how the cars were set up for different tracks when one of them turned to some ex-racer in the studio and said "You never had that trouble, did you Bob?" (or Brad or Chet or whatever his name was). He replied "No, they all handled to me. I guess that's why I won so much."
budd

Post by budd »

Sean wrote:A few years ago I was watching some NASCAR racing on the TV 'cos there was naff all else on. The commentators were discussing how the cars were set up for different tracks when one of them turned to some ex-racer in the studio and said "You never had that trouble, did you Bob?" (or Brad or Chet or whatever his name was). He replied "No, they all handled to me. I guess that's why I won so much."
that's a nice story, however with my distinct lack of talent I need all the help I can get :D
oldbikeman

Post by oldbikeman »

Apart from changing the springs and fluid I really am happy with the forks and would not now change them for any other.A lot to say when at first I called them cheap rubbish.Front is as good as any bike I,ve ever ridden.At the time I was going to send them to Rodger but misfortune caused me to DIY. No problem for me but I would have been happy to pay for his experience with them .As luck has it I like how they turned out.
budd

Post by budd »

oldbikeman wrote:Apart from changing the springs and fluid I really am happy with the forks and would not now change them for any other.A lot to say when at first I called them cheap rubbish.Front is as good as any bike I,ve ever ridden.At the time I was going to send them to Rodger but misfortune caused me to DIY. No problem for me but I would have been happy to pay for his experience with them .As luck has it I like how they turned out.
I think with some fettling they can be OK, but they'll only ever be OK, basically they are a cheap set of forks, that said it's great you are happy with yours, because that's all I want, to be happy with the front end.
I might live to regret this but when I went to pick up some fork oil I bought from a local KTM dealer, whileI'm in there looking around at the various bikes amid all the crossers is one of their road bikes RC-8 I've not taken much notice of other bikes in a while but I have to say it's an impressive looking thing, the sales man said take one for a test ride, well I was just in jeans so I declined but I'm going to give them a bell and book a ride on one, which I may come to regret if it's as good to ride as it is to look at it may well show up how bad the the storm really is, it may also prove to be crap but I don't think so, either way I'll be keeping the VTR coz I can't afford 8K for a new KTM, but it will be interesting to compare a new cutting edge 150+ BHP superbike to the venerable old Honda.
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

you and me Budd. Saw one at the end of last summer when I went to get some leathers - they're well thought of, especially the later R's, and great value secondhand and I love 'em. V distinctive. In fact I'm pretty sure next bike is a KTM - RC8 or SMT. Keeping the 'storm though
budd

Post by budd »

Quick update on progress, got the forks back together with the new oil, (10wt) but when I took it off the paddock stands I noticed a great big screw in the rear tyre, :( I've ordered a replacement diablo supercorsa which I was hoping would arrive today but it hasn't :( but with the rear tyre flat I haven't been able to set the sag so wanting to get it set up I've put a screw in the hole in the rear tyre and pumped it up to set the static sag, anyway I was chomping at the bit to get out on to check to see if rides any better with the changes I've made to the forks so I pumped up the rear tyre abit above pressure and want out on it this morning, I know it's probably not the best idea to ride the 150+ mph bike around with a screw in the back tyre but ay ho I couldn't wait till the new tyre arrived, (tomorrow I hope) .
So the result of my tinkering, well I have to say it's a lot better, before it was very vague and didn't inspire any confidence at all, now the front end is a lot more 'planted', a lot stiffer without been overly harsh, so all in all I'm quite happy, it's not perfect and I'm sure further improvements could be made with weight matched linear fork springs and I'll probably end up changing them at some point but for the time been they'll do. I'm now looking forward to getting the new tyre on and see if going to a 60 profile will make a discernable difference, plus it will be nice to be riding on a tyre without a screw in it!!!
So to sum up, it’s running on Yacuga progressive fork springs, 10wt oil, 160mm air gap, static sag set at 25mm, the fork internals have the full taper ground into the rebound adjuster rod (this removes the ‘step’ in the rod and if I understand it helps the rebound damping by making it more progressive), I think the 160mm air gap which seems more than appears normal is due to the tight winds in the progressive springs displacing more oil than a regular linear coil.
So the end result is a very worthwhile improvement over the weak OE springs, and hat’s without me setting the rear sag or damping, I’m waiting till I get the tyre sorted before I have ago at that, also while I was tinkering I stripped, cleaned and rebuilt the brake callipers and fitted braided hoses, I think cleaning the pistons and seals made a bigger difference than the hoses but the brakes are now noticeably better, this coupled with the improved forks as made a real difference to the bike and all for £30 (used Goodridge hoses £22, PJ1 10 wt fork oil £8) . :thumbup:
I'm still tempted to book a rest ride on the RC-8 though just to see what a new 'sukerbike' feels like.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

budd wrote: So to sum up, it’s running on Yacuga progressive fork springs, 10wt oil, 160mm air gap, static sag set at 25mm, the fork internals have the full taper ground into the rebound adjuster rod (this removes the ‘step’ in the rod and if I understand it helps the rebound damping by making it more progressive), I think the 160mm air gap which seems more than appears normal is due to the tight winds in the progressive springs displacing more oil than a regular linear coil.
So the end result is a very worthwhile improvement over the weak OE springs, and hat’s without me setting the rear sag or damping, I’m waiting till I get the tyre sorted before I have ago at that, also while I was tinkering I stripped, cleaned and rebuilt the brake callipers and fitted braided hoses, I think cleaning the pistons and seals made a bigger difference than the hoses but the brakes are now noticeably better, this coupled with the improved forks as made a real difference to the bike and all for £30 (used Goodridge hoses £22, PJ1 10 wt fork oil £8) . :thumbup:
I'm still tempted to book a rest ride on the RC-8 though just to see what a new 'sukerbike' feels like.
Good to hear you are progressing in the right direction :thumbup:

Which option did you use to set the static sag cable tie or Roger's way :?: as I see you were querying this in another post by you.

Chris.