SP1 COMFORT FACTOR/RIDING POSITION?

General Bike chat
Anotherbikerbabe

SP1 COMFORT FACTOR/RIDING POSITION?

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

Moving to SW Wales in summer and seriously toying with selling my Storm but have loads of little extras on her and Dave has told me since i won't be using my bike much (3-4 times max ) between now and August, as I'll be way too busy up and down the M'way moving house and back and forth waiting for him to get back from overseas, he'll buy me an SP1 in August when he gets home. :eek2 :clap: :clap:

Now i'm not ungrateful or owt, and yes they look devine, but I'm more concered with the riding position as don't like being too far flung forward and don't want that 'wrist ache' every single time I go out or it'll take the fun out my ride...But, saying that, Dave pointed out that I didn't even ride my Storm before i bought her and I soon got used to that... So, lads and ladies, do you

A) Own an SP1 and have owned a Storm to compare comfort factor? I can always buy another gel seat if needs be!!!
B) Found them not to disimilar in size? As right size for me and i've lost 5stone and I am 5'11 and its a good 'fit'
C) Found them just too umcomfortable to be able to bear for longer rides? 'wrist ache' position etc

My Storm has a lot of little bits on her like a custom made double gel seat, carbon covered frame bits, braided hoses,bellypan, built in indis to the rear unit, R1 mirros with built in indis (much better viz imho) and other bits of carbon protectors and a rear shock spacer for my cornering etc and I know it would cost me to replace those on another Storm if I can't get on with an SP1...
Would you,if you could, sell your Storm if you knew you could have an SP1? 8) Can't have both... prob a daft question but it's like Dave said, if I don't like the SP1, sell it and buy another Storm!
There are a lot of big bikes out there but some are really uncomfortable to look at let along ride!
Genuine comments please from anyone knows of the major differences bewteen the 2 bikes esp on the comfort/performance factor.....People????????
Think it's seperation anxiety the doc said pml....
ABB
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
turbo_billy

Re: SP1 COMFORT FACTOR/RIDING POSITION?

Post by turbo_billy »

From my own experiences.......
I`m shorter than you at 5` 5 1/2" (and as I`ve said before, the 1/2" is important :lol: )
No problems in reaching the floor or controls on either bike.
You are definitely pushed further forward on the SP with a bit more weight on the wrists but I would not say to the point of being uncomfortable, just noticeably different. The reach back to the footpegs seems further as well (more of a racer position than the Storm)
Riding position on the Storm is a little more upright than the SP (Not altogether a bad thing having a little more weight over the SP`s front wheel as it doesn`t require a lot of persuasion to lift the front under hard acceleration)
The main difference I find is if I want to go and have a fun ride out, the Storm seems a more relaxed way to do it. Handles and accelerates brilliantly but without any real drama. However, if I want to go out and have a balls out thrash then the SP is the one to go for. Definitely more focused and extremely happy doing what it was designed to do, if maybe being a little less forgiving than the Storm for any lapse in concentration. Get it right and the experience is superb but you do need to stay sharp when pushing hard.
I know it sounds obvious but you really need to get a test ride if you can. My personal feeling is that you would soon adjust if you were to buy an SP and have it as your only bike. I think you would only really notice the differences more swapping between one and the other.
Hope this helps a little but please remember that there are other experiences available out there and that hills can go up as well as down..... :D
Cheers
Tim :wave:
Anotherbikerbabe

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

Hiya

thanks for that, I'm not convinced as don't want something that is uncomfortable and I get the impression from a few different folk that the SP is more of a racing machine where i want somethign that definitely goes and still has comfort..Time will soon tell..Been looking at a really nice Blade but will defo go have a good look and get a feel for them..Thanks for the input :thumbup:
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

I have gone from Storm to SP1 this year.... and can echo pretty much what turbo billy says (though I'm 6' 1")

You adapt pretty quickly, and it's definitely NOT uncomfortable out on the open road and on long rides.... though around town and in heavy traffic it can be a little difficult :o -!!!

John
Bal

Post by Bal »

Hi ABB, sorry i have a question rather than answers, :oops: I am searching the forum for 'gel seat' and your thread popped up, I did a 320 mile round trip on my new storm saterday and I wont be doing that again with the standard seat! I was wondering if you could tell me what inserts you used? I am looking at this allthough it seems very expensive but maybe I only need 1 and it could be fitted inside the seat. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Se ... 19ca6954b7 Good luck with the new purchase.

Alan
Bal

Post by Bal »

Scratch my last request, finally got to the post where you mentioned the company that did your seat. :thumbup: