Starter Motor terminal bolt?????? Arrrgggh

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
parkergb6

Starter Motor terminal bolt?????? Arrrgggh

Post by parkergb6 »

Hi,
Found a problem today bike wouldnt start just a click. Good news traced it back to corrosion on the electrical terminal bolt on the starter motor. The bolt has had it. Does anyone know where I can source a new one asap. Is there a kit with all the washers etc...

Cheers
Geoff
AMCQ46

Re: Starter Motor terminal bolt?????? Arrrgggh

Post by AMCQ46 »

quick answer is NO :( but you can make your own replacement with a coach bolt with its head filed down to replicate the Honda part. make sure you put all teh insulation parts in the correct place.
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

What he said :thumbup:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Don't forget to give it a good coat of grease when your done to prevent any more corrosion :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Gaggenau

Post by Gaggenau »

I had the same problem, just replaced the motor, cheep enough, and then made a new lead up at work, as the ferrul was in bits due to the corrosion, plenty of grease under the rubber boot when all back together, been good as gold since.
parkergb6

Post by parkergb6 »

Right result in the end. I stripped down the starter motor and managed to cut the old bolt out saving the insulation washers. I then used a stainless steel hex bolt in replacement using the insulation washers.
replaced the connector at the end of the cable and was able to clean the cable before sealing it. Connected it all up topping it off with a new rubber boot and some grease and hey presto fired up straight away.

Whereas before I struggled sometimes to start it now fires up first time every time.

I'm guessing with a new connector a good bit of cable and a new clean bolt the full battery charge is getting through and giving it a solid boost to start the bike. its very noticeable the difference.

Thanks for all your input guys again saved me more money with your advice.

I surprised someone doesn't sell some type of starter motor rebuild kit or similar. I would like to replace the entire cable but with connectors and all but guess they have to be of a certain specification.

Anyhow thanks again. :beer:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Good stuff, well done. :thumbup:

You can buy a new cable but their £31 though :eek2 http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 15#p210480

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The only problem with using a normal hex bolt is that it isn't captive, so when you tighten the nut on the end which holds the starter lead on it can undo inside the motor. The original bolt has a rectangular head, which locates inside the motor and won't turn when the lead's tightened up, and you can get a better connection.

That's why a large-headed bolt such as a coachbolt is suggested, it just needs to be filed or ground to match the shape and size of the original bolt.

No point stripping it down again to change it if yours works now, but I thought I'd spell this out in detail for anyone else who needs to fix theirs.

Well done getting it sorted.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
parkergb6

Post by parkergb6 »

I've decided although I had fixed it to order a new cable as well. I found a brand new oem cable with the rubber boot delivered from the states for £22. seems like they have a number of parts. The website is http://www.powersportsplus.com. Hopefully it may help some people. Ill let you know how good delivery etc is.

part number for cable is 32410MBB640
for the rubber boot is 32411253000

Cheers
Geoff
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Any auto electrician will be able to crimp up a cable of a suitable length.
It might be a cheaper option.
KEEFRED

Post by KEEFRED »

Exactly the same on mine on sunday, did not have a problem getting the starter motor out, but could not undo the 2 long bolts holding the starter together so I cut them in half as they are only a couple of quid new.

However, in a ham fisted attempt to get the square headed bolt out to make a new one I broke the black plastic insulator in half.

After several hours searching for Mitsuba SM-13 spares on the tinternet and on here I found a site in the Usa that did new ones for $70 but would not ship abroad, there are quite a few on ebay under Vtr starter motor but all looked almost as bad as mine or were £100, eventually found out that a Blackbird one is the same and only £40 on ebay, plus they are mostly mint condition due to not being bolted to the front of the engine.

It seems you can buy the brush holder assembly for about £20 but it isn't clear if that come with the square head bolt and the insulator piece.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You can also use the SP1 motor and swap over the end cap; where it bolts to the engine (not the end where the shaft comes out).
I think the SP2 motor will be the same as well, but haven't tried one.

It just widens the chances of finding a cheap one a bit.
Stevo Kifaru

Post by Stevo Kifaru »

I picked up a CB600f Hornet motor off evilbay for £12.50 & it fits straight in, good condition as well as it hadn't spent it's life have all the sh1t of the road thrown at it. Did a lot of research before I put it on the bike, just in case.
This site helped me in my decision:
http://www.psep.biz/store/honda_motorcy ... motors.htm

And this one, in the knowledge garnered from this site about Blackbirds having the same starters I checked the Hornet's compatibility here & it turned out to be the same, that & previous engineering knowledge swung it:
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_mo ... ue_M01.php

Just missed a Fireblade motor on evilbay for £1.90 + £5.80 pnp :(